Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Knock?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

well, after filling up at a different gas station with 93 octane, the problem seems to have gone away. Ill continue to monitor it and see how things go. Thanks for all your replies.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 PM
flguy

I have a 2007 GT and just installed a Ford Racing intake with 93 Bama tune. I am experiencing the EXACT same thing right now...knocking above 4k rpms. I have been using 93 octane since the day I bought this car. I go to the same station 98% of the time. Could it really be selling me "bad" gas? I'm really disappointed. Hate to downgrade the tune to 91 just because of my station (Exxon). Just paid $800 for the CAI and Bama tuner and pretty much the only difference from stock is I have a knocking problem now. Btw, I tried both the Street and Performance tunes. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If it continues to knock with the new fuel, load a lower octane tune. It's not too uncommon for fuel in certain areas to be a bit "off" of their rated octane. It's posible you may just need to pull a degree or 2 of timing with the tuner. Altitude can play a role as well as other things. % ethanol doesn't always help, either.
I had a 93oct tune from brenspeed and it would always ping in the summer. I eventually ran their 91oct tune with 93 oct gas and bumped the timing up 2 degrees and it never pinged. I would also recommend lowering the timing with the tuner if it still does it.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 PM
flguy

Just had all my spark plugs replaced by the dealer, and had the fuel injection service, which included a new fuel filter. Still pings between 4-5k at WOT. I put in a fresh tank of 93 from a different station this time (BP) in stead of my normal Exxon. Still pining. So I ran the Bama logger and sent them the data. We'll see. I am tempted to adjust the timing myself but now that I've had all this service done, I want to see what they say.

By the way, with only 27k miles on my car even the Ford guy was like "really?" when I told him the tuner guy said I should try changing my plugs. Well, it turns out it was a good thing I did. He said there was rust on the tips of the plugs. I was a little surprised with so few miles but he said it's an age thing, and if I don't drive the car A LOT (which I don't) then moisture can build up in the combustion chamber and cause the rust, so I learned something new!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:31 PM
flguy

Bama sent me a revised 93 octane tune and it seems to have cleared the issue. So no complaints now. The tune is nice, car definitely feels more responsive with that and the new CAI.

One thing I noticed is that my cooling fan is running all the time now. Since I drive a convertible it gets kind of annoying after a while every time I pull up to a light or leave the car running while I talk to someone.

Does anyone know what the stock "high temp" fan temperature is? Is it safe to mess with that now that I have a new tune? I drive the car very sanely, almost never WOT, and would really like to put the fan temp back to whatever it was. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Had the same issue with both items on my 08. For timing, here in AZ during the summer I typically leave the 91 octane tune but dial back the timing by two degree at the 4000-6000 RPM range (I leave global alone).

For the fan, I too had AM put the fan back to OEM shortly after getting their tunes. They always run here in AZ if I let them set it.

I don't recall what the OEM settings are though. It's been too long.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
flguy

Thanks for the idea. I called Bama and asked them to put the high speed fan setting back to normal. They sent a new file within a few minutes, and it worked. Strangely, though, when I look through the confirmation screen on the tune, I still see the same number of degrees for both high- and low-speed fans as the previous tune. If he reset my fan back to stock, how come those numbers on my handheld tuner are the same as before? And why wouldn't Bama just tell me to dial in a different setting on my own? Just curious.