Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Modding Stock gt with supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default Modding Stock gt with supercharger

Hey guys Im looking to buy a gt, i found a nice 08 im probably going to buy. Im going to put some sort of variation of the roush body kit on it. I was interested in putting a super charger on it in a year or two. Is there more that will be needed to upgraded to keep up with the supercharger? Also I was looking on roush site and the superchargers said their for a manual transmission. Is there ones for automatic ?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Got a buddy who put a kenne bell on his '05, everything has held up fine over the years except for the clutch which slips now that he's got some stickier tires. Also had a propensity of throw belts until he got a good aftermarket tensioner. Enjoy the car, will be fun!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

awesome, what kind of Hp should I expect to get out of the super charger. Also does it need to be stick to use a supercharger? Or is there different kinds? I dont know anything about them lol. Ill need to learn
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Superchargers work with auto trans for sure. You just have to get the trans properly tuned. JDM is an expert in that dept. The 5r55 trans max safe hp/torque is around 450 ...give or take. This is why I got the roush m90 blower kit....its in the safe range. The high HP kits will need some tranny upgrades.
Keep doing your research before you buy anything. Knowledge is power in this case big time, and can save yourself loads of cash in the long run.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

so to upgrade to one of the big 650hp chargers Ill need a new tranny or a rebuilt one. Well for now Ill figure out which car I want to get, Put on one of those badass roush kits. And love the car. Then Ill decide how much I want to put into it.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:02 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

If you want 650hp you are going to want to put forged internals in the engine or just get yourself a b302. That amount of power will snap a rod in a stock engine.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

It doesn't matter what kit you get they are a big expense. Their are a TON of FI kits for the s197 mustang. Take your time research the types of superchargers or turbo if you prefer, decide on your goals from the beginning or it'll cost you later. If you want 600 at the wheels an m90 is not for you. If you want instant power/torque when you plant your foot then get a positive displacement blower Kenne bell or Whipple twinscrew or a Roush TVS. If you prefer your power to build gradually then get a centri SC or a turbo. Kenne Bell ha some pretty good tech on his site and I believe AM has some SC tech on their site as well. It doesn't matter which blower or trans you run if your up at 600+ at the wheels you are going to be upgrading the drive train and putting in a forged short block no getting around it. For me personally I want something I could start with and grow with not only the stock motor but very possibly in the future a forged SB. For now I am happy but will to increase to between about 450-500 on the stock block then if I forge go from their but this all get VERY expensive
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

thanks, Im not looking for a huge expense, maybe a few thousand. I figured i can go up to 450-500 and keep it pretty much stock other then that. I wanna get the most power i can with bolt ons + superhcarger. I want all my power right off the jump. I dont want to get into a complete engine overhaul it will cause me to much. Thanks for all the great info. Im gonna spend alot of time researching all this stuff.

Thanks a ton
Kevin
Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd still forge if you want 500 HP if you wanna stay really safe.

I've seen quite a few running 450 I believe.
But 500 I'd forge.

And at those power levels a stronger clutch is wise.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Few thousand isn't going to get you very far in terms of forced induction. Figure 4-5 grand minimum, unless you piece together a kit and fab up stuff/install yourself.

Quick Reply: Modding Stock gt with supercharger