Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What brand clutch are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Ok then, I guess I should consider myself one of the luckey ones here ....LOL
Been running a SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch and Flywheel for about two years now.
No problems, holds the power, and so things seem well ..!!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Had a regular Spec stage 3 on my 530 hp 1995 Mustang and the clutch itself was fine. The Spec flywheel, though, had some issues. Removed the clutch once to fix a rear main leak and found about half the bolts attaching the friction surface to the rest of the flywheel had sheared off.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Be WARY of the SPEC 2 and 2+.
MANY horror stories out there.

I went through a nightmare with mine.
Search on the forums and you will find the same with MANY people.
In my opinion SPEC is GARBAGE on these Mustangs.
Also their customer service is nothing short of insulting I think.

I would STAY AWAY from SPEC.
Mcleod or Exedy is what I would go with.

+1
Spec sucks. Personal experience. Not the Mustang but my last car, '98 TA. Went through two Spec 2+ 's in less than a year before they started a-slippin. Bad. So either their clutch or their press. plate sux or both. Car was never tracked. So it's not just on the Mustangs that they are garbage. They are just garbage. And try their customer service whem the darn thing fails, with less that 10k miles on it. Nope forget it no warranty no nothin, you gotta buy another. Those of you that have Spec and like 'em, I bet you don't have many miles. Cause it won't last, not even 20k then it's gone. Garbage.
Jus tryin to save somebody the grief
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 AM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverHoss
....They are just garbage. And try their customer service whem the darn thing fails, with less that 10k miles on it. Nope forget it no warranty no nothin, you gotta buy another. Those of you that have Spec and like 'em, I bet you don't have many miles. Cause it won't last, not even 20k then it's gone. Garbage.
Jus tryin to save somebody the grief
You have a couple of valid points with regards to the Spec 2+ being junk as well as their customer service (I have no experience with their support, but I have yet to see somebody say they are good, so you win that one), but your claims that all Spec clutches are garbage (basically what you're saying) is just flat wrong and bad information to post. Having your own opinion is ok, but only if you can back it up with some facts. So again....haven't seen to many, if any, people say the Spec 3+ has given them issues. I've got 10k hard miles on mine with no signs of slippage or issues. My dad has a 3+ also with MANY more miles than I and he has had zero issues...plus many others out there with many more miles than I.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Stay away from the Spec's II and II+ they are huge POS! I had nothing but issue's with mine. I am running the RST Twin disc and love it, but if you car is stock there is not need for the RST.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:33 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Again I'd stay away from SPEC.
Even though the 3+ has had more success than the other models.

Others with a lot of experience on these forums, other forums, and on the S197 in general will tell you the same.

I did not listen to the warning when I received it and I PAID for it later.
Plus SPEC treats customers HORRIBLE. Both me and others as well.
They also did not stand behind their product in my case.

There is another thread about clutches going on here and I said the same thing.
Again I will say if you get a quality SPEC on these Mustangs, I'd say you are LUCKY.
It's that bad I think and again others will say the same.

I wish I had heeded the warning people gave me when they did.
It would have saved me A LOT of both cash, and trouble.
I've heard nothing but great things about the 3+ for the V6, the issues you guys have had may be V8 related.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

His is a V8 hehe.

The 3+ has had a lot more success than the 2, 2+, and 3.
They just have a bad history on these cars.
Of course there have been problems with the 3+ for some people but not nearly as much as the other models.

But when you hear a company has that many problems on their clutches PLUS customer service problems...that is plenty enough to tell me to stay away from them.
The stories of those clutches having horrible problems just flood forums compared to other brands.

Not to mention I was one of the one's with a nightmare story with their clutch, AND their service. When it happens to you... you really don't go back to them lol.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

My spec stage 2 has 18,000 miles on it. I've had zero issues except for some noise in 1st gear a few months back, but it went away.

Who hear has over 20,000 miles on a performance clutch? Anyone?

since when did the stage 2 get bad mouthed along with the stage 2+. there were several shifting issues at high rpms with the stage 2+. I've never experienced that with the stage 2, shifts like butter at high rpms.

Silverhoss, how many years of driving stick do you have? I think that's a better question. I've got 22 years. Any clutch can get smoked.

Last edited by moosestang; 06-26-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Still running the stocker, but I'm going with the Exedy Mach 500 as soon as I save up the cash.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by GerRod
Still running the stocker, but I'm going with the Exedy Mach 500 as soon as I save up the cash.
This is what I went with in my 06GT after my SPEC nightmare.

I can tell you I LOVED the Exedy.
Gah i can't remember if it was the 400 or 500 though.
BOTH of them are great. Just depends on how much TRQ you plan on having in the future on which is better for you.

I would advise you use their flywheel and not the stock one.
DO NOT use a different aftermarket flywheel. It will void the warranty and often they do not fit well.

The Exedy Flywheel is lighter than a normal steel but not as light as a alum. one. I was worried about the lightness at first but when I got it I felt NO difference in it and the stock flywheel.
No issues at ALL and I was also cammed lol. They flywheel also has an awesome design that actually cools the clutch too. Pretty cool design.

This clutch is an awesome clutch.
Plus it is not as costly as the Mcleod.
The Mcleod is pretty dang awesome from what I hear by 99 percent of those who have owned them.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-26-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: What brand clutch are you running?