Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Service at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM
andywalls

Originally Posted by Derf00
Unless you are having engine problems I don't see why you are so scared of the dealer knowing you have a tune?

Heck, my dealership expects people to mod their mustangs and even has a team that puts on FRPP parts.
thats ford dealer workers adding ford parts... thats very different then other aftermarket parts being self installed or by a third party shop. think about it.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Unless you are having engine problems I don't see why you are so scared of the dealer knowing you have a tune?

Heck, my dealership expects people to mod their mustangs and even has a team that puts on FRPP parts.
That makes you one of the lucky ones
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by andywalls
thats ford dealer workers adding ford parts... thats very different then other aftermarket parts being self installed or by a third party shop. think about it.
FRPP is not OEM and as such does not carry the same warranty as OEM. Each aftermarket part including FRPP has it's own warranty that is typically 12/12,000 regardless of installer. If FRPP is installed by the dealer and it fails, the dealer can go to FRPP for coverage of the labor under that part warranty, not Ford's. If you install it yourself, you're out of pocket for any 3rd party install costs.

The only exception I am currently aware of is the Whipple/Roush S/C installed on 2010 and up GT's. If an Authorized dealer installs it, it's 3/36K. If you install it or have some other shop do it, 12/12K.

Either way, Non OEM is Non OEM. I've known dealerships that will not install anything but OEM and will be huge butt holes when a modded car is brought to them. They no longer have any of my Ford business.

I'm one of the few lucky ones to live by a dealership that can handle a modded mustang.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:16 PM
jimj3125
1st Gear Member

Cool Service at dealer

Took my car to the dealer for oil change and had them check the rough shifting.
The service manager showed me a tec report from ford to change the tranny fluid. They did and put in:xt 11 qdc fluid. Shifts like a dream. No charge!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

...Non OEM is Non OEM. I've known dealerships that will not install anything but OEM and will be huge butt holes when a modded car is brought to them. They no longer have any of my Ford business.

I'm one of the few lucky ones to live by a dealership that can handle a modded mustang.
I totally agree here. I will never go to such a butt hole dealership because those are the asshats that would dare to try to put into your records that you have mods with the sole intent to deny any possible and future warranty service that would be justified.

Only if everyone would assemble such lists of loser dealerships and post them up, we can all avoid them like the plague wen it comes to servicing our cars. Maybe loss of service business would give them a clue and they would drop such dumbass policies.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Only if everyone would assemble such lists of loser dealerships and post them up, we can all avoid them like the plague wen it comes to servicing our cars. Maybe loss of service business would give them a clue and they would drop such dumbass policies.
I don't think you would make a significant dent. Mustangs are a small fraction of their business (5% ish?). Modded mustangs are a fraction of that. When you hang out on forums such as these, it easy to forget that we are a tiny portion of their business.
Your average motorist has no clue if there getting screwed. As long as they can get a hot cup of coffee in the service waiting room, they're good.

I would guess that the typical forum enthusiast picks up on far more issues with their vehicle then the typical customer. Furthermore, I bet we are far more likely to push for issues to be corrected.

At the end of the day, we = tiny fraction of service business = low profit business = PITA business .

YMMV.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

I've owned 6 mustangs including 3 cobras and dealing with Dealers in Fl. and Tx. I found that bringing my car in for pay service seemed to be a cheap warranty. They actually look at you as a customer instead of someone who comes in only for warranty repair. Did the same thing with my Corvettes and believe me Chevy service on vettes isn't cheap but when I hit a pot hole and bent two of my rims they actually warrantied them. This is just my opinion and it works for me.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
They can see when the ECU has been flashed, but they can't tell what has actually been done to it.

If they ask you about it, you left your headlights on and your battery died. Simple as that
This. But I feel sorry for you ladies that worry about it. It's your f^^ckin' car and they can go pound sand. There are more dealers out there that DON'T give a ratz azz about mods than those that do so go find one and quit being a panty wasted wuss.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

FRPP is not OEM and as such does not carry the same warranty as OEM. Each aftermarket part including FRPP has it's own warranty that is typically 12/12,000 regardless of installer. If FRPP is installed by the dealer and it fails, the dealer can go to FRPP for coverage of the labor under that part warranty, not Ford's. If you install it yourself, you're out of pocket for any 3rd party install costs.

The only exception I am currently aware of is the Whipple/Roush S/C installed on 2010 and up GT's. If an Authorized dealer installs it, it's 3/36K. If you install it or have some other shop do it, 12/12K.

Either way, Non OEM is Non OEM. I've known dealerships that will not install anything but OEM and will be huge butt holes when a modded car is brought to them. They no longer have any of my Ford business.

I believe you are mistaken on the Ford Warrranty on the Ford Racing/Whipple supercharger(525HP). There is no warranty at all unless it installed by a Ford Dealership and then it is 12/12. Roush warranties its supercharger as does Edelbrock for 3/36.