Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
NateKR

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT
Default Ford Racing Intake

I was thinking of switching my K&N intake for the stock Ford Racing intake on the Shelby GT (mainly I just like the way they look). While I was reading I would need to recalibrate the computer with my SCT tuner but does anyone know why it says I would need to run premium fuel only?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
NateKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

When supplied with the FRPP package, you need to run premium since that's the only octane tune they give you. But when you order custom tunes from AM or Brenspeed (or whomever writes your tunes) they'll write them for whichever CAI you tell them you have and you can order whatever octanes tunes you want. You'll find that a good, 87 octane custom tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune and probably perform as well as or better than the FRPP 93 tune.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 GT, MT82, 3.73's. Borla S Type , Steeda tuned

In my opinion the HP gains from either of the FRPP upgrade packages ( there may be 3 ) are not worth the money. The HP gains are not that impressive to me for the money spent. That and the fact that their tuner is not as adaptive to future mods. What the old man ( Nuke ) above said about a good quality custom tune from a reputable tuner is worth every penny. You get what you pay for does not always work out in the real world.
mapitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
NateKR

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

Well I'm already running Bama tunes from AM. It took a couple of tunes to finally get my car the way I like it for daily driving. So by the way it sounds the FRPP tunes Ford sends you are premium only tunes? All I need to do is contact Bama tell them I have switched cold air intakes and they will set my car up for the 90mm FR intake and regular or mid-grade fuel?
NateKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Correct.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

If you run the Ford intake with a custom tune you also wont have to worry about the lower performance the other poster spoke about when pertaining to the FRPP package.

Most of the performance comes from the tune and you should not notice any difference between the actual cold air intakes.

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateKR View Post
Well I'm already running Bama tunes from AM. It took a couple of tunes to finally get my car the way I like it for daily driving. So by the way it sounds the FRPP tunes Ford sends you are premium only tunes? All I need to do is contact Bama tell them I have switched cold air intakes and they will set my car up for the 90mm FR intake and regular or mid-grade fuel?
Yes, you should be under AMs free tune program. I think they'll send you 3 tunes so you could get an 87 tune as well as a couple for mid or premium grade.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

^
Love the grabber orange man!
I really could never see myself with anything other than black but if I did it would have to be grabber orange!

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
90mm, air, bama, car, cl, cold, ford, forums, frpp, fuel, grade, intake, mid, racer, racing, tunes