Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2012 Ingot GT and Forgestar F14's on order

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Default 2012 Ingot GT and Forgestar F14's on order

Hello Everyone,

I've read many posts here with everyone's story on ordering cars or parts so I thought I'd share mine.

I ordered an Ingot Silver GT on 07/08/11. As of yesterday my dealer had no info on the build date. As I get more details I'll post them.

I also ordered a set of Forgestar F14's 19x9.5 and 19.11 in Textured Black on 07/27/11. I sent an e mail to Peter @ Forgestar and he replied build time for the wheels would be 4 to 6 weeks if they had the parts in stock.

So the wait begins. I'll post updates to this thread as I find out more info. Hopefully someone here will find it useful.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Talked to my dealer and got some news:

Ordered: 07/08/11
Build Date: August
Delivery: September

Hmm, a little vague but its news.

Haven't asked about the wheels yet. I'll check on them in a week or so. The wait continues.

Last edited by Templar; 08-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I am not sure how it is for other dealerships out of state, but I found the the vast majority of dealers in Texas are almost always off on the build and delivery dates. Some being as much as two months or more off. Sire, there are a few who got their cars on or before quoted delivery date but there are many more who had to wait much longer.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Is there any correlation to when you get a VIN # to build date? Not that I have a VIN yet but I thought I read somewhere when you get a VIN the build date was scheduled or something like that.

But you're right...no sense in getting excited yet. The wait continues.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Powered by Ford

Forgestar makes awesome looking wheels, I'm very interested in their wheels, but the long wait times members on other mustang boards had to wait seem insane. Not to burst your bubble or anything! I hope everything goes well for you.

GL!

Post pictures when you put them on! Just make sure you inspect the finish and such before you install them.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Templar
Is there any correlation to when you get a VIN # to build date? Not that I have a VIN yet but I thought I read somewhere when you get a VIN the build date was scheduled or something like that.

But you're right...no sense in getting excited yet. The wait continues.
It depends. When you get a VIN your car does indeed get a build commitment. But even with a VIN and committed build date, things can still get delayed. Parts could be delayed because there is crap that is not made in the US. The Coyote engine comes from Canada. The MT82 is Chinese. All sorts of other small parts are also Chinese. Other small parts come from India. Globalization hurts manufacturing target dates since a hold up in any singe one could stop the entire line. At least if everything were made in the US, the linemen could pick up the phone and chew out the *** of the subcontractor. And a fire will be lit under his ***. But parts from other countries? Not as effective. You still have to wait just as long for that slow boat from china.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Powered by Ford
Forgestar makes awesome looking wheels, I'm very interested in their wheels, but the long wait times members on other mustang boards had to wait seem insane. Not to burst your bubble or anything! I hope everything goes well for you.

GL!

Post pictures when you put them on! Just make sure you inspect the finish and such before you install them.
I'll be sure to post pics. I created this post so I could document my wait time/experience with Ford and Forgestar. I know I search threads for the experiences of others when purchasing so I want to document mine so maybe It'll help someone in the future. I'm hoping to have my wheels in the garage waiting before my car arrives. Time will tell.

I'll keep this thread updated as my story unfolds.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
It depends. When you get a VIN your car does indeed get a build commitment. But even with a VIN and committed build date, things can still get delayed. Parts could be delayed because there is crap that is not made in the US. The Coyote engine comes from Canada. The MT82 is Chinese. All sorts of other small parts are also Chinese. Other small parts come from India. Globalization hurts manufacturing target dates since a hold up in any singe one could stop the entire line. At least if everything were made in the US, the linemen could pick up the phone and chew out the *** of the subcontractor. And a fire will be lit under his ***. But parts from other countries? Not as effective. You still have to wait just as long for that slow boat from china.
Yep, I agree. I used to work at Chrysler's Newark Assembly Plant. Once the auto manufacturers went to the "just in time" delivery for parts things seemed to go downhill. It works fine as long as the parts arrive on time but throw a tsunami in here or and earthquake there and nobody gets their car because your waiting on a tail light.

I was just looking for something in general. Get a VIN, things go well on the build and shipping, then your looking @ 3 weeks? ( or something like that )

The waiting isn't killing me. I would just like to have a date so I can order some more parts and have them ready for when the car arrives. I could order them now and get it over with but I'd prefer to have a date before I order. I knew the wheels could be awhile so I ordered them just to get that ball rolling.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 AM