Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Advice for 2011 GT w/new Jon Lund Cam'd Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 AM
msoler

Default Advice for 2011 GT w/new Jon Lund Cam'd Tune

I just purchased a 2 month old JLT carbon fiber CAI with an SCT X3 tuner and Jon Lund 93 octane "aggresive" ghost cam tune. Got a GREAT price too...$450!!! Now that it's installed and even though it sounds awesome, I'm worried about messing up the engine! LOL...maybe I'm just thinking about it too much! Anyways, I just need some advice about these tunes and if they are safe. Also, everybody says that you need to return your car to its' stock tune before taking it to the dealer for service. But if these CAI's require a tune, which the JLT definitely does, then how do you run it on the stock tune when taking it back to the dealer? Also, this isn't a garaged car and I've been putting 87 octane in it for daily driving situations, so is that out the window now that I have this 93 octane tune loaded? I'm guessing so but just wanted to be sure. If so....I'm probably going to purchase a second tune that I can load for my highway driving situations where I just want to cruise and not have to use 93 octane. Any recommendations on where I should purchase this additional tune?

After loading the tune and driving to the gas station to fill up with 93 octane, I noticed a burning smell. Not sure how to describe it, but I smelled it again after backing into my garage. Any idea what would cause this?

My last question is regarding the ghost cam tune by Jon Lund... Is anybody else running his cam'd tune, and what has your experience been so far. I have fallen in love with the sound, but I'm worried about my engine. Should I be??
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Engine should be fine, its running just like an old school cammed muscle car V8. That burning smell could be just the exhaust resultant from the "cammed" tune and inefficient combustion. And I would probably recommend reverting to the stock tune when taking the car in for service, the tune would probably freak them out not to mention what they might do to your warranty.

I think there are a few people on this forum who run that tune, hopefully they'll chime in too.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:09 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Take off your CAI and put your stock CAI back on and reload your stock tune that should be saved on your handheld tuner when you take it to be serviced.
After that put the new CAI back on and reload your new tune which you should have a copy of on your hand held tuner as well.

Don't run the stock tune with the new CAI or run the new tune with the old CAI.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 AM
WTFchuck
1st Gear Member

waitin for the omg i blew my #8 thread
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

i had a JLT CAI with tunes from Bama on my 4.6L. I dont know much about Jon Lund but if the tunes are written properly, you should be fine. Bama was great and I never worried about my engine having issues. I recommend them but I also know people like Brenspeed.

IN regards to going to the dealer, uninstall the JLT CAI, reinstall the stock and load the car back to stock. I recommend driving a little while after you load the car back to stock. Just like you would if you changed out the battery.

Not sure about the burning smell, but did you burn through a full tank of 93 before installing the CAI and loading the tune? Before I loaded my 91 race, I made sure to run through one full tank of 91 to reduce the chance of pinging and detonation.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have takin my car to the dealer for a tranny flush and never took my cai off or anything of that sort. But then again the number 8 has been a concern. But I have only seen two threads here about it.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Want a tune soo bad with an intake as well but the #8 scares are holding me back
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
msoler

Default Hmmmmm

Originally Posted by TheYeti
i had a JLT CAI with tunes from Bama on my 4.6L. I dont know much about Jon Lund but if the tunes are written properly, you should be fine. Bama was great and I never worried about my engine having issues. I recommend them but I also know people like Brenspeed.

IN regards to going to the dealer, uninstall the JLT CAI, reinstall the stock and load the car back to stock. I recommend driving a little while after you load the car back to stock. Just like you would if you changed out the battery.

Not sure about the burning smell, but did you burn through a full tank of 93 before installing the CAI and loading the tune? Before I loaded my 91 race, I made sure to run through one full tank of 91 to reduce the chance of pinging and detonation.
Thanks for the info... I will definitely remove the CAI and tune before taking the car in to my local dealer for service.

As for burning through a full tank of 93 before installing the CAI...no I definitely did not do that. Is that a bad thing?? I've just always thought this was a pretty simple process and upgrade until reading the responses...especially about the #8 issue. Maybe I need to revert back to stock?? I've heard nothing but good things about the Lund tunes, and thought this was a safe mod. Am I wrong?

I am new to this as I'm sure you all can tell... I definitely do not want to blow the engine in my ride. After reading several posts about the #8 issue, I'm almost ready to go back to stock.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 AM
msoler

Originally Posted by WTFchuck
waitin for the omg i blew my #8 thread
If I had read about these #8 issues before then I probably wouldn't have purchased this CAI and tune.....
Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

I have no idea what the #8 issue is. Just starting to do research on the 11+ GT's.

In regards to the filling up the tank with 93 first, its more of a safety net feature. If you dont, there is a good chance there is some lower octane left if your tank (87, 89 or 91...whatever you used before 93). By having a tune that runs on 93 and having lower octane left, you probably will get some pinging. This can lead to detonation if you push the engine too much and is very very very bad.

Even when I was running 91 through 2-3 tanks and was running a 91 tune in my 08, I would get pinging in the high RPMs. Stupid AZ gas is terrible, so I had to try different gas stations that wouldnt cause the pinging.

Quick Reply: Advice for 2011 GT w/new Jon Lund Cam'd Tune