Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shafted via driveshaft....Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 808muscle
We actually did when we installed the DS loop. We even checked the suspension bolts where we added the LCA's last month.
Since these cars come with the differential slightly shifted to the driver side from the factory, I wonder if that would affect anything, I doubt it but at this point we never know...

Frankly it could simply be that the DS was defective regardless what they said.
It's not always good for business to admit of your faulty product, even it it's one out of a thousand despite having a (well deserved) sound reputation like Shaftmaster have.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Pascal you could be correct but David wants to make this right and understand why it vibrated too. New DS shipped today. Digital angle finder ordered too. Need to order the uca tonite. Gonna go with J&M. Using the stock mount is ok right?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Posted a thread last week about installing my Shaftmasters DS and Loop. I thought all was great. This weekend I was able to get it up to 70 mph and then it hits, big time vibration. I repeated it several times and every time once you hit 70 ish and let off the gas it vibrates. Feels like its right under my seat. So I called my pro mechanic friend and we spent all day Sunday going over last weeks work. It looked to be installed perfectly. So we took it out and flipped it 180 degrees, cleaned all the surfaces again, wired wheeled the bolts, got it back in and went for a test drive. Hit 70 let off gas and whatta ya know......f***** vibration just like before. Now we are very disapointed. This is a wonderful piece yet it aint working at all. My car is not lowered, this should bolt on and your good but its not. So now we get her back up on jackstands and take the damn thing out. Clean the surfaces again, wire wheel the bolts again.....WTF this sucks.....and finally get the stocker back in.

I hope David at Shaftmasters takes it back. Something is wrong, it should work but does not. There has been a lot of debate about this mod. One thing that keeps coming up is guys with 4.10s and a 1 piece DS tend to have vibration issues more than others.
I had a Shaftmasters and had vibration issues. It was okay for a while because the vibration was very high speeds, so I lived with it. But when I put on the K member brace, the vibration lit up the car something terrible! I went back to stock drive shaft and kept the K member brace. Problem solved with no vibration at ANY speed. The Shaftmasters driveshaft has been sitting in my garage for 6 months. I've had it too long to return it and not sure if I can sell it. So it is now a $700 coatrack I guess

Oh, I have 3.73 gears.

PS - the Shaftmasters shaft vibrated from day one, even when I was stock suspension, but wasnt so bad that I couldnt live with it. Just that the added K member brace transmitted the vibration much more. Going back to stock shaft cured it, since then, I've lowered the car, so I figure the vibration would be worse now than before. Even lowered and with the K member brace there is no vibration with the stock shaft.

Last edited by FastDEW; 08-22-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added PS remarks
Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dew, did you check the pinion angle when you installed it even though you were at stock height?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Dew, did you check the pinion angle when you installed it even though you were at stock height?
Actually no I didn't. We checked everything after the vibration was felt on first drive. It was all good, pinion angle, etc. We then clocked the shaft 180 and still had vibration. But like I said on mine the vibration was at high speed and "livable" so I left it. But later when I put the K member brace in, that solid type connection between drivetrain and body transmitted a huge vibration!

Interesting when we first installed it, there was disagreement between me and my brother about the vibration. He felt it and heard it, but I thought it was smooth. We clocked the driveshaft, etc, but he felt it still and I didnt. So I left the shaft in.

Later I installed the K member brace and the vibration was HORRIBLE! So I went to stock shaft and there was no vibration at all, even with the K member brace.

Now the funny thing is that when I installed the shaft to begin with, I thought the car felt more powerful and lighter during hard acceleration. When I went back to stock, I did not feel any difference at all in performance. Perhaps there is a small gain at the track, but the vibration headache just wasnt worth it. Also, now that I have lowered the car and it is still vibration free with the stock shaft, I figure why mess with it again.

I also didn't like the adapter thing. IF I did a driveshaft again (doubtful) I would go with one that didn't use the adapter thing. Seems kind of hokey to me.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I've heard so many people say they have had trouble with aluminum driveshafts.
I'm glad people have had them be successful but I've heard so many stories of problems that I would NOT put one in mine.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dew, the one I got does not have the adaptor plate. My vibration was very noticeable as soon as you let off the gas at 70 mph, you could not miss it. I did feel a difference in performance with it in. Car felt smoother and throttle response was improved. The slushyness was reduced. I hope the new redesigned shaft with the new uca will solve the issue. I am excited to give it another shot.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I've heard so many people say they have had trouble with aluminum driveshafts.
I'm glad people have had them be successful but I've heard so many stories of problems that I would NOT put one in mine.
Agree! Too many problems.

I'm not trying to trash Shaftmasters. I never alerted them to the problem, so I cannot comment on how they might respond. By the time I installed the K member brace and the vibration got really bad, the driveshaft was on the car for many months and I figure out if warranty. I should have called right away but didnt. So I'm not trashing the company, I'm just telling my experience with the one piece shaft thing. Not enough gain for all the possible pain.

It is now a $700 coat rack in my garage. Ouch!

I hope 808 gets his worked out okay.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Dew, the one I got does not have the adaptor plate. My vibration was very noticeable as soon as you let off the gas at 70 mph, you could not miss it. I did feel a difference in performance with it in. Car felt smoother and throttle response was improved. The slushyness was reduced. I hope the new redesigned shaft with the new uca will solve the issue. I am excited to give it another shot.
Mine had the adapter plate, so it was older design.

One thing for sure, if you don't get ALL vibration out of it, the second you add a K member brace, you will absolutely know it.

I felt a gain when I installed, but as I said, when I went back to stock, the loss didn't feel like much if any. But I don't track the car, so it didn't make a big difference to me. I know guys say you can pickup two tenths or more with them though.

Hope you get it worked out. It is disappointing to get a new mod and it not work out as planned.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I see you have a BMR Loop. I installed the same loop when I did my DS. Seems impossible, but could the BMR loop be causing a problem somehow?

Quick Reply: Shafted via driveshaft....Update