Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Incoming 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
AMustangHopeful

Default Incoming 2013 5.0

So I'm planning on getting the new 5.0 in a few months, it'll be my second vehicle, the first was a 1994 GMC Sierra, not the most exciting ride.

I have a friend who has a '90 Celica bone stock, and put a LOT of hours into driving that on the highway, and one particular set of snaking turns getting onto 224E coming off from 71N in Ohio.

Basically, my question is what do I need to know, or where can I go to find out, all the handling do's and don'ts of driving the 5.0 GT. I'll be getting the automatic option for the 2013, with selectshift paddles. I want to be able to drive this car fast through those bends, and in general, but I won't be comfortable doing that, let alone confident I won't crash the beautiful machine, unless I learn all I can beforehand.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
JimJam

I'm sure you will be getting some good responses from the forum on this but I hope you don't mind a sort of off-topic question.. You say you're getting the automatic option for the 2013 with selectshift (paddles?). Do all automatics come with this feature in 2013? V6 and V8? I don't see this as an option on the "Build Your Own" Ford site so that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

I'd suggest immediately enrolling in some sort of high performance driver education at the nearest road course. You won't learn anything beforehand about driving a car. It takes hours behind the wheel to get comfortable with finding it's limits.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
AMustangHopeful

Yes, the new 2013 automatic options ALL come with paddle shifters, an up on one side, down on the other side of the wheel.

I'm going to try to find a course around NE Ohio, if anyone knows the area and can suggest a place, it would be most appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
AMustangHopeful

Okay, here's another question about the GT i'm looking at, in regards to the Brembo package. The package details on Ford's car build area, says that the Brembo has "Aggressive suspension tuning", I don't plan on having my car on the track very often, but there's that spot going to Columbus and back that I love to drive fast on, would that tuning help through those bends? Or is it just some marketing fluff on the site?

Also, should I keep all my own questions about my car here in this thread? Or make seperate ones per question?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

If you are truly getting the car to have fun on twisty roads, you might want to save your money and consider the manual transmission. Nothing against auto trannys or paddle shifters (don't want another of those threads), if you had said you were going to spend a good deal of time going down the 1/4 mile I would say go with the auto. Just something to consider.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hmm.. darn, bought my car one year too early, i wanted paddle shifters

rumor was it would be on the 2011 model, when it didn't come i figured hell, i have 5 years before the next revision, ill just get the 5.0 now cuz it's the awesome... then Ford throws out the 2013...

btw chain1, all the pro drivers, and high-end exotic cars use automatics and paddle shifters even on road courses and rally. Why? because manuals are too slow.

Although that also does come into, if you are doing it for fun or want to race competitively, because the manual is more fun.

I primarily drag race, i figured id do some auto-x and an occasional road course for fun, but w/o paddle shifters it just isn't too good.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-21-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri

btw chain1, all the pro drivers, and high-end exotic cars use automatics and paddle shifters even on road courses and rally. Why? because manuals are too slow.
My fault. I assumed he was driving the twisties for his enjoyment and not timing himself.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri

There is a BIG difference between the automatic transmission in the Mustang and the DCTs (Dual Clutch Transmissions) found in most high-end cars with "autos" and paddle shifters. Those are more like manual transmissions that do the shifting for you, as they still employ clutches (two actually) to select gears. They're so quick because the second clutch pre-selects the next gear for you, and simply engages it when ready. Many people who have driven the GTR talk about how, in reverse, they can feel the clutch engaging and slipping a bit, just as one would do in a regular manual transmission in such a short gear.

BMW's auto with paddles is a traditional auto, and shifts VERY quickly (for a traditional auto) and is still very fun to drive (with 450+ hp behind it), but it still not on the same level as their DCT selections.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
cody2639

I hate to burst your bubble but there are no paddle shifters on the 2013. Just a toggle on the side of the shifter

http://m.automobilemag.com/reviews/d...ang/index.html

Quick Reply: Incoming 2013 5.0