Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which aftermarket clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
GT Speeder13

I have a McLeod RST Im trying to get rid of. Im new to this forum, but Im on several other forums... Message me if your interested. This is the link on s197 forums http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...04#post1118104

Sorry for hopping in, I just have no use for it as Im joining the airforce and decided to go a different route. Its a great clutch, believe me!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by GT Speeder13
I have a McLeod RST Im trying to get rid of. Im new to this forum, but Im on several other forums... Message me if your interested. This is the link on s197 forums http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...04#post1118104

Sorry for hopping in, I just have no use for it as Im joining the airforce and decided to go a different route. Its a great clutch, believe me!
This belongs in the classified section of the forum.

Good luck with the sale!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I have a SPEC3 setup with an aluminum flywheel. Its a pain to drive in traffic. Impossible to drive lightly.

It locked up on me once trying to shift at 6400 rpms. I had to shut off the car, spool down to have it disengage.

I am sure I will wipe out this clutch within 1000 miles (600 miles on it right now) because you can't feather it. You need to just engage it and where I live you drive in bumper to bumper traffic all the time. So to go from 0 to 5mph a 100 times a day is not so good.

I have heard nothing but excellent reviews on the RST. I am just not sure if it is reccomended to use the aluminum flywheel with it.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
McLeod RST. If you do a LOT of drag racing with hard launches, McLeod RXT. Back it up with a McLeod steel flywheel.

And I agree with Smokey. F SPEC. F them hard.
We should have a bold printed advertisement for Mcleod here. It truly is a great piece of equipment.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
debit_free_2010

Originally Posted by Team STILLEN
We've installed a few ACT clutches in customer's cars. They offer much better clamping force and smooth engagement, without sacrificing the stock feel. I haven't gotten anything but positive feedback on them. With clutches, you need to worry less about horsepower and more about torque. The FM2-HDSS that we sell the most of is rated to 605 ft/lb of torque, which would be fine for a boosted 4.6.
I'm using that ACT clutch with the OEM flywheel,, I'm putting 480hp/460tq through it and it's holding up after 10,000-miles, It does appear the PP over-centers when I try shifting at 6600+ rpm's.

I blew the slave the 1st time I tracked the car after the clutch was in stalled so I put a .050" shim under the slave cylinder to ensure I wouldn't over extend the slave since the ACT pressure plate fingers are about that much shorter than the stock clutch,

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Mcleod and EXEDY are the best brands for clutches I would have to say.
EXEDY is by far the best if you do not want to spend the money for the Mcleod.
Both are friggin' great clutches. The Mcleod edges out the EXEDY if you get into the clutches that need to hold a lot of torque with that twin disk but for single dish I'd have to say EXEDY is just as good.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 PM
GT Speeder13

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
This belongs in the classified section of the forum.

Good luck with the sale!
Not sure at what point I'm aloud to make a post in the classifieds or send PM's but right now it says those things are blocked...

On topic though, I have heard from many that Exedy is the way to go also. I'm going to be installing one soon. I'm also looking for the right flywheel to pair with the Mach 500...
Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 AM
GT Speeder13

Originally Posted by debit_free_2010
I'm using that ACT clutch with the OEM flywheel,, I'm putting 480hp/460tq through it and it's holding up after 10,000-miles, It does appear the PP over-centers when I try shifting at 6600+ rpm's.

I blew the slave the 1st time I tracked the car after the clutch was in stalled so I put a .050" shim under the slave cylinder to ensure I wouldn't over extend the slave since the ACT pressure plate fingers are about that much shorter than the stock clutch,

Is there any way to know if you need a shim or not when having a clutch installed, or should the installer just add one if needed?

Sorry for the Newbie question, this is my first clutch swap...
Old 10-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

A shim is needed usually for fitting the clutch to the flywheel for proper
clutch pedal height.

Most companies do not require one and if they do they would put it in the
description when they had the item for sale somewhere.
If you buy an aftermarket clutch AND get their flywheel odds are a shim
will not be required. But that is not always true.

That's why it's a good idea to call the company you are buying from, or
call the manufacturer to get all the details about the clutch/flywheel before
you buy it. The same goes for many mods you put on
Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 AM
debit_free_2010

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
A shim is needed usually for fitting the clutch to the flywheel for proper
clutch pedal height.

Most companies do not require one and if they do they would put it in the
description when they had the item for sale somewhere.
If you buy an aftermarket clutch AND get their flywheel odds are a shim
will not be required. But that is not always true.

That's why it's a good idea to call the company you are buying from, or
call the manufacturer to get all the details about the clutch/flywheel before
you buy it. The same goes for many mods you put on

I agree, IF you use install the manufactures Flywheel/PP/Disc then you likely don't need to shim the slave.

If you use the sock steel FW with an aftermarket PP/Disc,, the easiest way to figure out if you need to shim (especially if you resurface your OEM FW) .. is to mount the stock PP/Disc to the FW and measure the height of the fingers before you resurface,, then mount and measure the finger height of the aftermarket clutch and you'll want to shim up any difference.

The last Gen Slowmaro's use a similar slave setup and here's a write up on whether shimming is required.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...need-shim.html

You'd think there'd be more better info from the Ford camp on it ...

On another note,, I went down to Atlanta Dragway last night and my clutch did not over-center when I shifted at 6600 .. Which leads me to think I'm boiling the fluid in the stock slave line .. But ,, That's another problem

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket clutch and flywheel