Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which aftermarket clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:28 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Default Which aftermarket clutch and flywheel

Hey guys,
I'm replacing my clutch and flywheel, I plan on getting a supercharger in the next few months. I wanted to get some recommendations. I dont plan on making over 450 whp. Please let me know what your experiences were
Old 10-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 09blkgtcal
Hey guys,
I'm replacing my clutch and flywheel, I plan on getting a supercharger in the next few months. I wanted to get some recommendations. I dont plan on making over 450 whp. Please let me know what your experiences were
We've installed a few ACT clutches in customer's cars. They offer much better clamping force and smooth engagement, without sacrificing the stock feel. I haven't gotten anything but positive feedback on them. With clutches, you need to worry less about horsepower and more about torque. The FM2-HDSS that we sell the most of is rated to 605 ft/lb of torque, which would be fine for a boosted 4.6.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'll say this, I would definitely....

STAY AWAY FROM SPEC!
if I were you.

MANY members on this site have had horrible nightmare stories with the stage 1, 2, and 2+ SPEC clutches.
Myself included.

Not going to go into detail but in short I had to ditch the SPEC clutch after only a month and it was giving HORRIBLE noises. SPEC refused to replace the clutch or refund my money. I talked to multiple phone reps and asked them if they had any reports of problems and they said no.
Finally I talked to one that told me there had been quite a few reports of people having problems such as bad noises, etc. with the clutches, especially when
used for street purposes.

I ended up having to eat the cost of two clutch installs PLUS the cost of two clutches and a flywheel. In short... it was in the THOUSANDS of dollars.

Like I said the only SPEC that has had real success reported in these cars on the forums I have been to
is the Stage 3.
Many people ARE happy with the Stage 3 from SPEC.
But MANY MANY have HATED their experiences with their other clutches.

However as far as customer support goes..pretty much EVERYONE I have talked to on multiple forums HATE the support they have and how they treat customers.

With your power goals I would NOT get a Stage 3 simply because it is too much clutch. If it was a twin disk that would be another story but otherwise,
too much clutch can be BAD for your car. Many people do not know this.

I would recommend an EXEDY Mach 500 clutch, or a Mcleod clutch if your up to forking over the cash for one.

The Exedy is a GREAT clutch. It will handle more than the torque you are going for and is not too much clutch.
It is rated to handle 500 ft pounds of torque to the wheel and I know a couple of people that have been running MUCH more than that
amount of torque for years with this clutch without any problems.
Plus it drives virtually like stock.
I would recommend you get THEIR flywheel if you go with them and not stay with the stock flywheel.

I don't know much about the ACT so I can't give you any opinion on that clutch.

And yes.. clutches are rated on how much torque they handle, not horsepower.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

McLeod RST. If you do a LOT of drag racing with hard launches, McLeod RXT. Back it up with a McLeod steel flywheel.

And I agree with Smokey. F SPEC. F them hard.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I would recommend an EXEDY Mach 500 clutch, or a Mcleod clutch if your up to forking over the cash for one.
Yeah me and Blacksmoke have a friend with a 650HP Roush that is running a Mcleod for a few years now and zero issues.

The guy said it is more expensive but will pay for itself over the years by taking the abuse.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Diabolical!

And I agree with Smokey. F SPEC. F them hard.
Thanks for saying what I wanted to say but held back from saying HAHAHA!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for info guys black smoke what clutch did you end up with
Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

When we had our 06GT and those problems we ended up getting
an EXEDY clutch. The Mcleod was just too expensive after us already dumping money in that
SPEC clutch that crapped on our face and literally sounded like it was someone taking a shat at every damn launch
and red light.

We went with the Mach 400 which is a step down in what it will handle
torque wise to the Mach 500 that I recommended simply because the Mach 500 was not needed at the power level we were producing.

LOVED the clutch.
We were going to use the stock flywheel because EXEDY uses a flywheel that is lighter. We were worried about having the complaints some people do when using a
light weight aluminum flywheel and it being more difficult to launch for daily driving but the people at EXEDY and BlowbyRacing both said the flywheel still operated like a
stock normal weight flywheel.
We ended up going with the EXEDY because they recommended it and said
it would mate up with the clutch MUCH better than the stock flywheel.

The EXEDY flywheel is steel like stock but it still weighs less.
However it drives JUST like a stock weight one.
It has a few big holes instead of a lot of tiny ones that a lot
of other flywheels has. They did this because the design actually COOLS off
the clutch! It is an AMAZING design. WE LOVED IT.

They were right too.. drove like stock.
I would HIGHLY recommend their flywheel as well over
getting the stock one resurfaced which you HAVE to do if you don't change
flywheels. DO NOT get a different aftermarket flywheel and use it with the EXEDY clutch. They specifically say not to do this and it also voids the warranty.

Have the stock one resurfaced or buy their flywheel.
I again suggest buying theirs. And again you will need the Exedy Mach 500, not 400 with
your torque levels you have, especially for the future.

Its a GREAT clutch and flywheel setup.
MANY Mustang outlets are using their setup in their cars
that they show off and/or race.
Ford Racing actually uses their setups in many of their racing Mustangs too.

GREAT setup!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-03-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

I'm rocking 30,000 miles on my Exedy Mach 400 (stock resurfaced flywheel) with great results so far. I dont drag race my car or anything, its just a bolt-on daily driver. I didnt feel the need to get a super crazy clutch for a bolt-on car...not to mention this clutch should hold anything the stock longblock can take. I got lucky and just happened to go with this clutch the first time without knowing any reviews.

My trans had a bearing go out and make a noise so Ford replaced my tranny and I asked them to put another clutch in while they were in there...just to make it cheaper in the long run I had them put in the Mach 400 for like 1 hour of labor. I bet another stock clutch would of been fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by svtsupremecy
I'm rocking 30,000 miles on my Exedy Mach 400 (stock resurfaced flywheel) with great results so far. I dont drag race my car or anything, its just a bolt-on daily driver. I didnt feel the need to get a super crazy clutch for a bolt-on car...not to mention this clutch should hold anything the stock longblock can take. I got lucky and just happened to go with this clutch the first time without knowing any reviews.

My trans had a bearing go out and make a noise so Ford replaced my tranny and I asked them to put another clutch in while they were in there...just to make it cheaper in the long run I had them put in the Mach 400 for like 1 hour of labor. I bet another stock clutch would of been fine.

Weird haha.
We had our trans go out in our 06GT and was making a weird noise and that's why we did the clutch at that same time as well. Our car was out of warranty so we had to pay for the trans. Then the SPEC clutch was not good so we had to pull the trans AGAIN and get the Exedy put in.

I remember that whole thing was a nightmare.
First had to pay for a tran then for a second clutch and install because the SPEC clutch was garbage. Talk about taking a hit.. it was HORRIBLE.

Quick Reply: Which aftermarket clutch and flywheel