Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

That is just a bunch of crap that a guy cant make his car run like he wants it to b/c of some lawmakers. I'll take my winters without limitations. OP if you research this enough on the net u will find some products out there that will bring your hp needs to life. Ive heard of several people bribing the ones that do inspections. Its probably more common than people think plus Im sure there state wages are probably just a hair over poverty so take advantage
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flat out
Really, so next your going to tell me Indiana is where Einstein is from?
Check your facts buddy, Einstein was from Ulm, Germany. I haven't seen any great theoretical physicists coming out of California either. No worries though, you've got Richard Nixon to even out the score.

@OP; I am not sure on your current mods. But I do believe reading that certain CAI/tuners are CARB approved and are legal to use on the car if they have that sticker (and approval) on them.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 11-07-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

So far I've done axle back only. My next plan was CAI/tuner and then gears and cams eventually. I drive a TON of miles so I'm still hesitant to s/c my baby.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Check your facts buddy, Einstein was from Ulm, Germany. I haven't seen any great theoretical physicists coming out of California either. No worries though, you've got Richard Nixon to even out the score.

@OP; I am not sure on your current mods. But I do believe reading that certain CAI/tuners are CARB approved and are legal to use on the car if they have that sticker (and approval) on them.
No dude, learn how to read, I never inferred that Einstein was from Indiana, I was asking a question. There is a difference.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flat out
No dude, learn how to read, I never inferred that Einstein was from Indiana, I was asking a question. There is a difference.
If you really need to ask that question... I hope for your sake you meant to say you were being sarcastic.

If not, then I can see California public school education has taken a permanent toll on our generation. Learn to express your thoughts.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

As far as I remember, in CA, as long as the cats are present, "in the stock location", it's legal to replace them. How in the heck is joe-shmoe guy going to know that you've moved 'em, unless he has an identical STOCK car sitting right next to it. You can make your 'own' carb# plates and have 'em welded to your headers or whatever else you'd like. YES, THIS IS ILLEGAL, but what is the likely hood of them writing the #s down and checking while you're getting the sniffer done?

Here in FairyLand (MD), they just do a visual and hook up the OBDII to look for codes/CEL. Thank goodness my truck is a diesel. emissions exempt in ALL 50 States!!! (I don't even have to have a muffler.)
Old 11-07-2011, 05:13 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
I'm getting sick of this. First I decide to save up for a Roush TVS but then realize that they are a no no in California. Then I decide on cams and longtubes only to discover that all of the tree huggers won't let me foul the air more than I already am. Then I decide to settle for cams and gears but I just read that some tunes with cams can fail emissions. Can I catch a break? Anyone know of any mods that ARE legal in stupid California? End of rant.
I think your still allowed to change Center Caps on your wheels? Oh, I'm sorry.....
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
I think your still allowed to change Center Caps on your wheels? Oh, I'm sorry.....
That's basically what it feels like. Who cares if I have different cats as long as they don't pollute more? I don't get why they have to be the stock ones. Stupid tree huggers and their hybrids making laws that nobody understands.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
As long as you don't have any lights on the center caps, no kidding, there is a section of the california vehicle code that talks about that.

What part of the state are you from, 5spdftw? You might find a good local tuner and run your mods past him? RET is good in the LA area.

Last edited by danzcool; 11-07-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
As long as you don't have any lights on the center caps, no kidding, there is a section of the california vehicle code that talks about that.

What part of the state are you from, 5spdftw? You might find a good local tuner and run your mods past him? RET is good in the LA area.
I think most states have something about external lights

Indiana does - but only the Indy Metro enforces it.

Quick Reply: Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?