Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

I would ask a shop that is located in California about cams. most of what I have heard and read on here is that they are undo-able
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know of a good shop in the SoCal area that deals with this sort of thing regularly? Preferably close to Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

GTR is in Rancho. It is on Uttica or you could try Brothers Performance in Corona.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

RET is a great shop in Downey.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
Does anyone from California have cams in their car and pass emissions? Is it even do-able?
I have the cams I live in Ca. I installed the cams myself along with long tubes an an m90, All illegal in Ca. so what, if I have to I can change the dam things out in 6 or 7 hrs. With a real lame tune this thing will get past the sniff test , that's all I need I can take care of the rest, if your worried about CARB don't do the cams, and without the long tubes the cams are not worth much. I live in a rural part of the state and am not tested unless the car is sold or five years. I spend some time in S. Ca. and I would bet you there is an illegal Mustang about every quarter mile,they all got tags, be creative or forget about it.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I think it sucks u live in a state that regulates what u can and can't do with your. But yet those officials cannot balance a check book
Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I think it sucks u live in a state that regulates what u can and can't do with your. But yet those officials cannot balance a check book
Well I guess you could say it sucks, but what some of you fail to realize is that all cars and trucks are built to Ca. carb specs. not to mention outboard motors etc. and what we're dealing with now you will be soon, if past history has anything to do with it. You can snipe away at Ca. all you want, I could care less, but what's it going to be cars or politics, I know a little about both.

Last edited by Flat out; 11-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I've got a KB that is carb legal. Don't know what everyone is whining about.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flat out
Well I guess you could say it sucks, but what some of you fail to realize is that all cars and trucks are built to Ca. carb specs. not to mention outboard motors etc. and what we're dealing with now you will be soon, if past history has anything to do with it. You can snipe away at Ca. all you want, I could care less, but what's it going to be cars or politics, I know a little about both.
Built to - not regulated to be.

We can do almost literally anything we want to our cars as long as it isn't impersonating a government employee or by its very existence a danger to other traffic.

Pure and simple, if you gave an average MF'er an unlimited budget to make the fastest street legal Mustang possible, it would not be legal to drive in California.

Our rednecks get roughly 5MPGs in their trucks and the cloud of black smoke they belch is rather beautiful.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 11-09-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Built to - not regulated to be.

We can do almost literally anything we want to our cars as long as it isn't impersonating a government employee or by its very existence a danger to other traffic.

Pure and simple, if you gave an average MF'er an unlimited budget to make the fastest street legal Mustang possible, it would not be legal to drive in California.
And.................................I pretty much have an unlimited budget, what you get if you work your *** off for 45yrs. I did just what I wanted to do to my car,and it was plenty, I drive it where I want when I want, what is your point.

Last edited by Flat out; 11-09-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Lord, are there any mods I'm allowed to do in California?