Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: What would you do with the $1700 insurance check?
Repair damage done ASAP.
85.71%
Use touch up paint and use the cash on wheels/tires
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

I need your advice. Someone did a hit & run on my Mustang. (beware 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

I hear you man But a good point was mentioned... Not to harp on that but... If the damage was enough that any metal is exposed... It will at one point begin to rust. And rust is basically car cancer. I would be SO tempted to do wheels and tires too, especially since extra money is so hard for everyone to come by these days! But man, if it starts to develop cancer back there.... It's going to cost a hell of a lot more than it would now to fix, and you might really regret it...

But at the same time, it may not be that bad, and that may never be an issue! Not trying to be a spoil-sport, I'd just hate to find out later that skipping a repair now would cost you major repairs down the road someday :/
Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 PM
sgr215

Yeah... that's definitely my major concern. I have to take it back to the shop because I noticed my fog lights aren't working after the last repairs. I figure I'll ask them if I need to be concerned with rust.

I will say the only part where the paint is no longer showing still appears to have some sort of undercoat on it. At least to me it doesn't look like steel showing but I could be wrong.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:40 AM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Get it fixed, that dent sticks out like a sore thumb. Unless you think bling wheels on a beat up car actually looks good.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 AM
sgr215

Originally Posted by White05GT
Unless you think bling wheels on a beat up car actually looks good.
I've got to admit, you lost me there. This dent makes it a beat up car in your mind? If so, we've got drastically different opinions of what a beat up car truly is. A beat up car in my mind is the car I use to take my dog to the woods; a Civic with 200k miles, several dents, missing emblems, torn seats, and one wheel that doesn't match the others. Seriously, let's not exaggerate the facts here. It's a beautiful car with minor rear quarter panel damage that may, or may not, result in rust if not taken care of properly. However, the vast majority of people who see it driving down the road won't even notice the damage. Trust me, I'm reminded of that every time I stop to get gas.

As for bling wheels, don't think for a second I'm going to get some gaudy chrome 22'' wheels. While looks will indeed play a part in it, I'm primarily wanting to improve handling and overall stability, especially in the rain.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

fix it. damage to a lovely car will stick out and whatever wheels you put on won't even matter. any chance of tracking down the bastard and have a good ole fashion snuff fest.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I'll add my "get it fixed" too.

I think it really sticks out.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

You know - it sucks that its on the quarter panel. If it were bumper only I'd say take the money and run - set aside a little and buy a new bumper lol

But - if only... Damn delivery truck.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:52 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sgr215
Thanks for the responses so far. Unfortunately, you're right about Maryland and even worse, I don't have a garage so it's only underneath a car cover so rust is definitely a concern.

Another issue I have with getting it fixed is I'll be without my car for another week or two which will mean it'll be in the shop longer than it's been with me. Knowing my luck once it's fixed again some idiot will wreck right into the back of it at a stop light.

As far as compensation goes, it's still up for debate and nothing is finalized. Essentially, the $1700 figure is what the body shop estimated the damages were. I have witnesses, pictures, and even a letter from the companies rep stating they take full responsibility for it. So if it costs me more or I need a rental it'll be easy to get it from the insurance company at least.
The ball is in your court. I'm sure the tire co. will do everything within reason to make it more convienent for you. You don't sound like the type to try to take advantage of the situation. So, I'm sure they would follow your demands without a problem. You should go through them for a rental for sure.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Fix it. That's your quarter panel that just got smashed. Touch up paint and buffing isn't going to fix or band-aid it.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I got an option C for you...

Not only you NEED to get it fixed but you can get it done for cheaper than $1700.
If that current shop won't work with you on that, then shop for another shop.
Good luck.

Last edited by pascal; 11-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: I need your advice. Someone did a hit & run on my Mustang. (beware 56k)