Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just some quick 4.10 gear questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM
ace555

Default Just some quick 4.10 gear questions

Ok quick questions I know with the 4.10 gears I need the Rear End Installation and Bearing Kit (because I have over 50k so might as well, right?)

My questions are -

Is the Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 Gear Oil the right oil (and best)?

Do I need an additive of some sort for the rear end oil??

And is there anything else I'm missing here?

05 GT
XCAL3
Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

The gear oil sounds fine. AM.com sent Royal Purple with my gear/tuner combo. No issues with it.

The installation kit is a good idea, along with having a competent shop. I would check to see if the installation kit comes with a new pinion bearing, if not, get one, you'll probably need it when the old one gets bent. They're like $16-18 @ Advance Auto Parts/Autozone.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

When you get the install kit make sure you get a MASTER install kit.
This kit comes with new bearings.

No matter what you may here or your mileage, you NEED to have them replace
the bearings. MANY of these cars have had gear whine and other issues because of the bearings.

And yes many times gear whine IS due to the bearings.
I know of a few well known Mustang shops that are now REFUSING to install
gears without putting in new bearings.

The master install kit runs about a hundred dollars if I remember correctly.
Well worth it over the other instal kit that costs about half or three quarters less.
Although bad installs and the choice of gear brand (make sure you buy Ford Racing gears and NOT motive gears, and Ford sells motive gears on their site so make sure you know the difference)... where was I... oh yeah...

Although bad installs can cause gear whine as well, it is WELL worth the peace of mind having the bearings replaced regardless of mileage, just to cut down the chances of gear while and problems A LOT.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Royal Purple is an excellent choice and get the M-4210-C FRPP install kit.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking about getting 4.10s also. Am i better off going to a ford dealer or to a performance shop?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

the 8.8 is a easy rear to set-up. I would go to the performance shop due too the fact that ford will rape you. A performance shop will charge around $300 for a gear swap and I heard of Ford charging up to $900 for the same work.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the performance shop. Number one, I was curious and called several dealers in the area. All of them said they absolutely will not put any aftermarket parts on these cars, period, even if they are FRPP parts. Some people get dealers that will, but typically dealers are seriously overpriced on almost everything they do.

A good performance shop should be in the 300-550 dollar range. Seems to be the zone most people get into. Cheapest I found here for a reputable shop was close to $400 for labor. Make sure you check their work before you let them touch your car. See if you can find some customers and ask if they've had any issues/whine after install. If you can't do that, make sure when you get the car, if it whines, take it right back. Some people say gear whine is normal, but most seem to agree that if done right and all the bearings/parts are replaced, it should be dead silent. Some shops will try to tell you it's normal, they all do that, etc. but the gears in there now are made from the same material, in the same housing, and they are silent. Changing the number of teeth shouldn't make them any louder. Mine whine a little, and it doesn't bother me as I have to REALLY listen for it coasting at idle. But it shouldn't.

I use Royal Purple in my rear end as well. No problems, and as a matter of fact after running their oil in my engine and in my rear end, I've changed my transmission lube to Royal Purple as well. Good stuff! Seems you can't go wrong with RP or Amsoil.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

One shop quoted me 800 with their gears. They don't want to use aftermarket ones
Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM
ace555

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
When you get the install kit make sure you get a MASTER install kit.
This kit comes with new bearings.

No matter what you may here or your mileage, you NEED to have them replace
the bearings. MANY of these cars have had gear whine and other issues because of the bearings.

And yes many times gear whine IS due to the bearings.
I know of a few well known Mustang shops that are now REFUSING to install
gears without putting in new bearings.

The master install kit runs about a hundred dollars if I remember correctly.
Well worth it over the other instal kit that costs about half or three quarters less.
Although bad installs and the choice of gear brand (make sure you buy Ford Racing gears and NOT motive gears, and Ford sells motive gears on their site so make sure you know the difference)... where was I... oh yeah...

Although bad installs can cause gear whine as well, it is WELL worth the peace of mind having the bearings replaced regardless of mileage, just to cut down the chances of gear while and problems A LOT.

Ok so add the "Installation and Bearing kit" AND add the "8.8 Rear Gear Pinion Bearing"?? http://www.americanmuscle.com/fopege4ra.html

I've never heard of anyone replacing the "Rear Gear Pinion Bearing" in addition to the installation and bearing kit could someone fill me in on this
Old 11-10-2011, 11:31 AM
ace555

Originally Posted by madmann26
The gear oil sounds fine. AM.com sent Royal Purple with my gear/tuner combo. No issues with it.

The installation kit is a good idea, along with having a competent shop. I would check to see if the installation kit comes with a new pinion bearing, if not, get one, you'll probably need it when the old one gets bent. They're like $16-18 @ Advance Auto Parts/Autozone.
Sorry guys I meant to quote madmann ^

Quick Reply: Just some quick 4.10 gear questions