Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Major Upgrade First?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Major Upgrade First?

Hey guys,

So, I have an 08 GT, pretty much stock. Looking to drop in a Whipple H/O kit, and everything I've posted before and have read or been advised has been to put in a new motor.. something like the Brenspeed 5.0 package. Will then cam and whatnot. However, the wrench in the works is that I will be in Germany for the next 2-5 years (depending on if I extend my enlistment or not). I have found that I can have the Whipple kit shipped over relatively painlessly and for a decent cost. However, the Brenspeed is pretty much a no-go. So, the questions are:

Should I go ahead and ship over the Whipple, put it on and have it very conservatively tuned and enjoy it until I can get an engine?

OR

Should I wait to put in an engine first? Or what other viable options are there if I can't get the engine sent over?

More newbish questions..

Will cams made for the 4.6l fit into the 5.0?

What other upgrades are necessary if I go the supercharger before new engine route. And what upgrades are necessary period with both upgrades?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

first off, you presented your situation and questions in a very neat and
orderly fasion, very easy to follow and address. nicely done.

yes, go ahead and get the whipple kit. run the whipple tune supplied.

you need nothing else immediately, but you will want to plan on upgrading the
clutch at some not too distant point (if you have one, can't tell by your mod list).

yes cams for the 4.6 will fit in a 5.0 (it's the heads that determine this).

good luck with the project and thanks for your service.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I would go with the whipple kit for now. I like to build in stages but, your situation being in Germany makes it tough. I would install the whipple for now and when you get back to the states where there is a ton of technical support I would build according to a plan. Good luck....let us know how the autobahn is?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Hey,

Appreciate the responses guys. I think I'm going to do as ya'll suggest. There are a few American auto-friendly places in Germany, so I should be able to get it decently tuned. I need a new pocket tuner anyways after mine no longer wants to connect to a computer for some reason.

Hammeron, what do you suggest for clutches? I was thinking of upgrading the transmission to a 6-speed at a later point, but still not sure on that. Ideas? Comments? Thanks!

Daredevil, the autobahn is probably my favorite part of being in Germany. Everyone loves the mustang over there because it's just something you don't really see outside of America, of course. There's more high-end italian sports cars over there than there are mustangs, so it's always a head-turner. The oddest part though, is even with my un-governed GT, pushing as hard as it'll go on a straight patch of the autobahn, I still get passed by the occasional station wagon. I don't know what they put under the hood of those things, but most of them seem built for hauling ***. =)

Have a good one!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:27 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Well, some of us hate to see you over there for so long; but it's great to hear from you!

You can enjoy the hell out of a whipple'd setup w/o getting too crazy and still keeping the stock motor until something else comes along.

Getting passed by a station wagon is very shameful; you'd better fix that!

Take care
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh

Hammeron, what do you suggest for clutches? I was thinking of upgrading the transmission to a 6-speed at a later point, but still not sure on that. Ideas? Comments? Thanks!

i personally like the McLeod RST because of it's smoothness and ability
to hold lots of torque, but it does have a low rpm rattle that you'll have
to get used to. bottom line imo, is that only the stock clutch kit is perfect
and once you deviate you make compromises. if you are going to swap
the transmission soon, then i would just wait because the input shafts may
have a different number of splines and the clutch disks won't be reusable.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

hell of a station wagon....amazing.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Keep in mind that if you do the supercharger first, then it'll all have to come off for the new motor and then back on.

Just a thought. I have dealt with plenty of my own issues with installs/removals lol
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

I think I'll just swap out the clutch for now. Another few thousand dollars can wait until after suspension, motor, appearance, etc. =) Taking the S/C on and off won't be too much of an issue. Anything to get an excuse to grab a 6 pack and mess around under the hood is fine for me. =) As for station wagons... I dunno what to tell you. They are Germany's mustang/camaro. Sad.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
Hey,

Appreciate the responses guys. I think I'm going to do as ya'll suggest. There are a few American auto-friendly places in Germany, so I should be able to get it decently tuned. I need a new pocket tuner anyways after mine no longer wants to connect to a computer for some reason.

Daredevil, the autobahn is probably my favorite part of being in Germany. Everyone loves the mustang over there because it's just something you don't really see outside of America, of course. There's more high-end italian sports cars over there than there are mustangs, so it's always a head-turner. The oddest part though, is even with my un-governed GT, pushing as hard as it'll go on a straight patch of the autobahn, I still get passed by the occasional station wagon. I don't know what they put under the hood of those things, but most of them seem built for hauling ***. =)

Have a good one!
They have some pretty fast Station Wagons on the autobahn. Been passed by a few myself, especially those Beemers and Mercedes type. I'm in Hohenfels by the way (but currently in Afghanistan for 5 more months). Well good luck with your project, who knows, we may pass each other buy (Hung out in Schweinfurt a few time)...

Quick Reply: Which Major Upgrade First?