Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mysterious Noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Mustang Jace

Default Mysterious Noises

I have some rattling in the doors and the dash and behind the stero, do any of you guys have this problem and if you do how do you fix it? It drives me insane when i go over bumps.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 AM
PanderAlexander

I get the same rattling sound behind the dash, these are just noisy cars I guess, part of the what makes it a mustang
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

the noisy part is supposed to be the engine/exhaust, not the doors/dash.
hopefully you get it figured out
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
bronxbill
2nd Gear Member

If you figure out the door noise, let me know. I have the same rattle over bumps
Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I had/have some rattles in my door too.

The first and most annoying one was the window switches would vibrate constantly when the radio was playing. Almost any bass would cause them to vibrate. I don't listen to rap with crazy amounts of base, I'm talking peoples voices on talk radio or even commercials would cause them to vibrate. I fixed this by popping off the panel and wrapping the buttons in duct tape to dampen them and fill in the gap.

My other door noise is the little piece of plastic behind the door handle. That shifts around on both doors enough to cause a rattle. I have yet to pop that off to fix it. When I hear it making noise, I just shift it around a bit and that shuts it up.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I just lifted the little plastic tabs behind the handles and put a dab of silicone on them, that quieted them . I put silicone on everything not bolted on, quieted the interior a lot, but I still have the one behind the dash. I've taken the radio off about 5 times, removed glove box, put silicone, wire ties and tape on everything I could think of and it still rattles.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Screw loose in the head making that rattle?

I get a rattle in the dash on the drivers side where the dash meets the pillar. I sometimes get one where the e-brake is and if I pull the lever towards me (not up but sidways) it goes away.

ebrake one will be an easy fix, just need to remove the center console and secure whatever it is making the racket. The dash one...I am not pullin' my dash apart for. It's really intermitent and not loud.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Every once in a while I can hear a very faint vibration/rattle on a cold start sometimes and as far as I can tell is coming from the dash. Its actually faint enough that it doesn't bother me and goes away in about a minute. I just figured it was one of those "guess I'll just deal with it" things.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have the same door noises. Need to dampen them with silicone too. Just got the gt500 strut mounts to quiet that hidious noise. Front right mount is toast and so annoying.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:00 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

My 05 V6 had zero noises in it. My 05 GT has plenty. Need to dynamat the doors or use felt tape on any plastic surfaces that touch. If you notice, when you remove the center console panels around the radio there are small prices of felt tape there. It's to reduce rattling/squeaking. Buy it in bulk and get to work. Will get rid of nearly all the sounds.

Quick Reply: Mysterious Noises