Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior ambient lighting

Old 12-11-2011, 03:43 PM
oceandreams89

Well, got 'em going.... Talk about satisfaction.... The problem was the LED lights after all. I had an extra 14A411-C rear seat LED harness with 2 LED lights. I plugged them in to the harness that goes to the rear seats, and determined they worked.

I then moved to testing for voltage with a simple test light. I cycled through each of the 7 colors to determine which wires in the 4 pin plug to the back seat LED's were live for each color selection, marked it down, etc. There were some mental gymnastics since the LED harness wires are one set of colors, and the main feed 10 pin harness, and the plugs under the dash for the front lights are different colors. Had to write down the color conversion, then move on to the front seat plugs.

Each pin on the front seat plugs had power in the right places for each color. Then I plugged in the LED harness that was not showing correctly, and it's plug was also good....the only item remaining was the lights themselves. Sooo, got out my clippers, cut the lights off the harness, then cut the spare lights I had tested off the spare rear seat harness, and spliced the wires from the LED's to the front seat harness plugs. (1 for each side of course) Plugged them in and nice bright fully functional LED's all the way around.

The job would have been just that easy if the front LED's were good, but of course, nothing is ever as simple as it sounds. The job on my car was far easier than others I have read about, simply because all the wiring harnesses were in place, wired, and powered right from the factory. All this troubleshooting would not have been needed if the LED's I recieved in the shipment were good from the beginning. I'm lucky I had the extra harness to clip the lights from to get it going, without waiting another week plus for parts to go back and fourth. My clippers saved me from lots of thinking about it for a week too. I'll post some pics I took today, as I had the interior appart again.... I'm just really glad they work after all that....

Todd
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
oceandreams89

Pictures....

Console area with wires plugged in. Lower left goes to rear seat LED's, lower right is the main 10 pin harness, disconnected harness is for auto transmission equipped cars, processor unit is attached to the lower cup holder. Light ring for cup holder is sandwiched between the cup holder top, and the console bottom...

[IMG][/IMG]

Front LED light plugged in to harness

[IMG][/IMG]

Rear LED lenses installed in the lower part of the console.

[IMG][/IMG]

Light ring illuminated in cupholder with switch to the right. The switch hole, and different cup holder for the light ring are the reasons for needing to change out the console top...

[IMG][/IMG]

Rear seat LED's

[IMG][/IMG]

Short front footwell LED jumper wiring, and long jumper wiring with 2 LED's for the rear seat. The longer wire I had an extra for, and is where I took the two lights from to wire to the malfunctioning front jumper wire....

[IMG][/IMG]

Light ring and switch

[IMG][/IMG]

LED installed in the front footwell in a factory prepared postion. A hole is provided from Ford not far from where the LED plug connects to.

[IMG][/IMG]

Other pictures of the LED's and lens covers that they clip to to hold them tight....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this job. I did'nt have much information when I started as it applied to a 2008+ car. Older cars that are not pre wired have more hoops to jump through for the front lights wiring. If you have these open plugs in your car, this is a very simple addition, as long as all your parts work out of the box. Sorry some of the pics are blurry....maybe I should have spent the money on a new camera huh...

Todd

Last edited by oceandreams89; 12-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

Congrats. Nice job man, it looks good!

I do have a couple quick questions. Your car was already equipped with MyColor. My '09 GT does not have that option. Does anyone know if it would still have the same wiring pre-installed?

Also, are you able to select from more colors than the red shown in the photos?

I may just end up going with a quick and easier floor LED setup for a little character.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 AM
oceandreams89

Hi Rain. The way to determine if you are pre-wired is to look up under the dash near the glove box, and on the drivers side about center in the footwell and see if you have an empty female harness plug on each side. Also, the center console comes off in about 30 sec with the removal of 2 phillips screws at the back, under the arm rest. Remove the 2 screws and pull the whole thing upwards...if there are a few empty plugs under the console as well, than you are pre wired.

There are 7 color choices that are cycled through with the button that you install in the console. Each press of the button changes the displayed colors and the last press turns them off.

If you want the interior flooded with light, then aftermarket may be the way to go, but if you want the factory colors, without the lights being very bright, then factory would be the way.

The other option is the "factory" kit sold by Ford for $270.00. It is a ready to install kit for cars that are not pre-wired. The Ford kit consists of the switch, wiring, and leds to light the front foor well, and the cup holder with single LED bulbs, so you wont have to change out the console like I did, but you also wont have the light ring in the cup holder. http://accessories.ford.com/interior...-kit-9954.html

I liked the factory light ring, and appearance, and also the rear footwell lights which the Ford kit does not have. Definitely a cheaper option though. There is also a good installation write up on The Mustang Source forum website.... I cant locate it right now, but it's in there.....

Good luck
Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Looks good! I didnt have ambient until my 2010 but Im hooked now. It is just fun