Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone had this problem before???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
cmrncrick

Default Anyone had this problem before???

I bought a bunch of suspension parts and one of them was some BMR Springs. Install for everything went smooth but about a week or so after installation I started hearing like a popping/clanking sound from the front end everytime I hit the slightest of a bump. I took the wheel off and nothing is missing/loose/broke but on the spring coils it looks as if they have been bottoming out on each other. This ever happen to anyone else?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Are you sure it's the springs? I have had some weird noises transpire due to the bushings on my LCAs being old and not well greased. Might be what you are hearing too, so I would check those, and redo the greasing on them before putting em back in. Could also be sway bar bushings if it is strictly from the front? Did you replace your front stabilizer? You didn't specify.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

It's a very common noise especially from the right front. Most of the time it's the strut mounts and most people upgrade to the GT-500 ones when they install springs/struts.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
cmrncrick

I will get back under there and check the bushings on the lca's. I did check the ball joints and they seem good. No movement on them. The only thing I replaced on the front was the strut assembly. I didn't get into anything else up there. I got J&M Caster/Camber plates on there so they should be good.

Last edited by cmrncrick; 12-04-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 PM
cmrncrick

Will I still need to get new springs in the front since the coating has rubbed off them? I don't want them to corrode and fail on me or anything.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
It's a very common noise especially from the right front. Most of the time it's the strut mounts and most people upgrade to the GT-500 ones when they install springs/struts.

I have this noise too. I bought the GT500 strut mounts to cure it, but not installed yet.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

There are also some black sleeves that slide onto the bottom coil of the springs. You should have transferred those from the OEM springs when installing the new ones. Noises are pretty common with aftermarket parts, not because they are bad quality but installation issues. I know from experience, make sure everything is tight, really, really tight!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
cmrncrick

I talked to BMR which is who I got my springs from. They told me that they design their springs to do that. I kind of just scratched my head when I hear that. They then went on to tell me that they think it's probably the J&M Caster Camber plates. Any of you guys ever heard of springs designed to bottom out on each other?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I had that problem and it was a loose sway bar. Put an 8 mm socket on the end of the end link for the sway bars and then tighten the big nut with an 18 mm. Put a little locktite on there too. It solved my.problem which was exactly how you described
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I had that problem and it was a loose sway bar. Put an 8 mm socket on the end of the end link for the sway bars and then tighten the big nut with an 18 mm. Put a little locktite on there too. It solved my.problem which was exactly how you described

Quick Reply: Anyone had this problem before???