Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Quesion for Whipple Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Mustang Matt
1st Gear Member

Default Quesion for Whipple Owners

I have an 06 GT with pretty much full bolt ons (L/T's,hot rod cams,CAI, UDP's, Driveshaft,4:10's) as well as handling upgrades like Koni sports, rear swaybar and lca's and uca's. I'm seriously considering an intercooled whipple kit in the near future, but I want to know how much of a handling detriment those of you who have whipples have noticed. Is the extra weight on the front end very noticeable and how much does it take away from the handling balance? Or is the power gain worth it? I would probably be tuning it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 420-440whp since I don't want to upgrade the internals at this time. Any input is appreciated. Also if anyone can post what the actual weight increase with an HO whipple kit that would be helpful.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Matt
I have an 06 GT with pretty much full bolt ons (L/T's,hot rod cams,CAI, UDP's, Driveshaft,4:10's) as well as handling upgrades like Koni sports, rear swaybar and lca's and uca's. I'm seriously considering an intercooled whipple kit in the near future, but I want to know how much of a handling detriment those of you who have whipples have noticed. Is the extra weight on the front end very noticeable and how much does it take away from the handling balance? Or is the power gain worth it? I would probably be tuning it for somewhere in the neighborhood of 420-440whp since I don't want to upgrade the internals at this time. Any input is appreciated. Also if anyone can post what the actual weight increase with an HO whipple kit that would be helpful.
FWIW: I remember recently reading that the typical twin screw adds about 75lbs.

I've noticed no significant difference in handling with the Saleen
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

It's not enough to make a huge difference. My complete drag suspension destroyed any handling on my car, but the whipple intercooled kit adds less than 75 lbs. after you subtract the weight from the components you remove. If that amount of weight concerns you, invest in a tubular K-member and you'll drop most of that weight.