Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fill-up Problem

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Exclamation Fill-up Problem

Checked this out on the search feature, didn't find it.

Having an isolated issue with my 2006 GT...seems like the gas tank lost half capacity or something. It could be my sensor, but I'm not completely sure. My fuel gauge will read "0 Miles to E" and when I try to fill it up, the gas pump's auto-stop engages at like 8 gallons. I can't manually fill the tank up any more. Problem has occurred at several gas stations. Any solution to the inconvenience?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Try this. There is a vent hose from the passenger side front of the tank that goes to the EVAP system if it is plugged by the EVAP system you might not be able to get the air out. I had to remove my EVAP system so I ran a hose from that hose up into the wheel well near the filler I put an air filter on the end and put the filter in a can with the opening pointed down.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

This isn't your first S197, but have you tried rotating the filler nozzle while filling anywhere from 90 (handle horizontal) to 180 degrees (upside down)? I have found that if I insert and hold the nozzle upside down (vertical) then it will fill completely everytime... The EVAP canister problem that 908ssp identified could help, but rotating the nozzle fixed it for me the first time with no effort. Many believe the root problem has something to do with the tank being shaped like a saddle... I dunno... I know this helps, atleast for me. Just make sure you don't "top off" the tank, you know trying to force more gas into the tank after it the nozzle has clicked off from being full...
Don
Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Your issue is somewhat common with this body style. Ford has a few TSB's out there for new tanks and adjustments and finally one saying that it may be normal.

The main issue is that gas station A and gas station B will have different rates at which the nozzle dispenses the fuel. There is a sensor in the tip of the fuel filler nozzle that shuts the pump off when it gets wet. If there is anything preventing the vapor in the tank from being vented as the fuel level rises, an air bubble will "burp" out of the filler neck and trip the sensor.

This type of thing can happen to any car

In the case of your mustang, the filler neck diameter is rather small. Plus, the neck does a few bends on it's way to the tank. If you fill up at the right station, the nozzle will dispense more fuel than the small filler neck can handle and you get a situation where the neck fills up faster than it can drain in to the fuel tank. Angling the nozzle changes the flow through the hose and can aid in it's ability to drain to the tank.

If this happens at every fuel station I'd suggest you have a venting issue with your EVAP canister, canister vent valve or canister filter.

Otherwise if it only happens at certain stations, there is likely nothing you can do but angle the nozzle or use different stations.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the TSB and this being a chronic issue with the S197, so welcome to the crowd.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM
UsmcMustang
1st Gear Member

yeah i got the same problem , it happens most of the time at shell stations for me here at the west coast but the one on base works fine
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Oh yeah, been dealing with that one since they all went over to those new style pumps a few years back. I just twist the handle 90 degrees like others have posted. I don't even consider it an inconvenience anymore. It's what makes my car mine.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 AM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

add me to the group haha. i will have to try that turning the nozzle thing
Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Turn the nozzle, slow the delivery rate, stand on your head and sing the Star Spangled Banner...
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

even though you are joking, i will gladly sing the star spangled banner everytime i fill up my car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fill-up Problem