Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sleeper seems to attract most attention from wanna be racers/jerks

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
1987MustangGT5.0
2nd Gear Member

The problem with the attitude of street racing = you're-a-horrible-immature-miscreant is nobody is defining street racing. If you're accelerating fast beside another car that is also accelerating fast, but you at no point exceed the speed limit you are technically racing but surely that doesn't mean the same thing as ripping through a residential area at 100 mph.

There are degrees and subtleties to everything. Like a heroin junkie is an illegal drug user in the same way a guy who smokes a joint 10 times per year is an illegal drug user. Both are illegal drug users but one guy is a total fracking write-off while the other guy could be a $500K/year doctor with a perfectly happy, well-functioning life.

Because I like to stomp on the throttle from a light up to about the speed limit give or take 10% doesn't mean I'm a "street racer." That's retarded.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:11 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

It's a calculated risk! Do your calculations very carefully. The cops don't seem to care about anybody's reasoning, justifications, or rationalizations If they catch you, (tell it to the judge). Also remember that not everything is in your control, if the guy you happen to be "racing" crashes and kills someone, you are just as guilty in the eyes of the law. You can still enjoy your power on the street using common sense, It's when anger or ego get in the way that bad stuff happens. Semantics aside, whether you are racing up to the speed limit or not, it's still a speed contest under the law. You can also be cited for exhibition of speed or reckless driving. Call it anything you want, slice it any way you want, it is still risky business to engage in speed contests on public roads. Take the risk, then be willing to accept the consequences if thing go wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1987MustangGT5.0
The problem with the attitude of street racing = you're-a-horrible-immature-miscreant is nobody is defining street racing. If you're accelerating fast beside another car that is also accelerating fast, but you at no point exceed the speed limit you are technically racing but surely that doesn't mean the same thing as ripping through a residential area at 100 mph.

There are degrees and subtleties to everything. Like a heroin junkie is an illegal drug user in the same way a guy who smokes a joint 10 times per year is an illegal drug user. Both are illegal drug users but one guy is a total fracking write-off while the other guy could be a $500K/year doctor with a perfectly happy, well-functioning life.

Because I like to stomp on the throttle from a light up to about the speed limit give or take 10% doesn't mean I'm a "street racer." That's retarded.
bravo my friend
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rebus
It's a calculated risk! Do your calculations very carefully. The cops don't seem to care about anybody's reasoning, justifications, or rationalizations If they catch you, (tell it to the judge). Also remember that not everything is in your control, if the guy you happen to be "racing" crashes and kills someone, you are just as guilty in the eyes of the law. You can still enjoy your power on the street using common sense, It's when anger or ego get in the way that bad stuff happens. Semantics aside, whether you are racing up to the speed limit or not, it's still a speed contest under the law. You can also be cited for exhibition of speed or reckless driving. Call it anything you want, slice it any way you want, it is still risky business to engage in speed contests on public roads. Take the risk, then be willing to accept the consequences if thing go wrong.
<random response>

Reminds me when I was driving 20 over in my Mazda truck (long time ago).. and some dude in a Honda truck "raced" me.. He blew by me.. I was just in a hurry to get to my girls house..

But the officer stopped me.. and I got a ticket for street racing. Told him I wasn't paying attention to the other guy and was speeding for my own irresponsible reasons.. but that didn't matter to him.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Correct, but just like both the heroin addict and the social pot smoker put everything at risk every time they use, you put your license, your car, and your life at risk every time you "accelerate quickly next to another car that happens to be accelerating quickly" up to the speed limit "plus or minus 10%". Although I think we all know the minus is BS.

If you're going to do it, fine. But don't expect a lot of support. And don't come around b!tching when you get popped for it telling us all how big a dick the cop was.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
1987MustangGT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
Correct, but just like both the heroin addict and the social pot smoker put everything at risk every time they use, you put your license, your car, and your life at risk every time you "accelerate quickly next to another car that happens to be accelerating quickly" up to the speed limit "plus or minus 10%". Although I think we all know the minus is BS.

If you're going to do it, fine. But don't expect a lot of support. And don't come around b!tching when you get popped for it telling us all how big a dick the cop was.
I'm not looking for support. I'm looking for some acknowledgement that the term "street racing" does not appropriately or fairly represent every encounter between two cars.

I'm pretty sure it's still legal to floor a car, so when I do I really don't need the net nannies telling me about my risky lifestyle. I'm a very cautious and risk adverse person, but I still like the feeling of a vehicle pulling. Maybe if my car had some real power you guys would have a point but we live in a day and age when minivans have 300 hp. My stock 2005 GT is hardly a menace on the roads.

Plus a race is human nature. Pretty sure over half the events in the summer and winter Olympics are races. I'll race you if we are side by side in golf carts ffs. Lining up two Mustangs and tromping on it up to the speed limit is the exact opposite of a giant risk. It's fun. You should try it.

And BTW you completely missed the point of the drug analogy.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Street-racing, exhibition of speed, or whatever you want to call it, goes hand-in-hand with mustangs and camaros.

Every day, I see the young male drivers of these cars accelerate hard through the gears (up to the speed limit...lol), rev the engine while stopped at lights etc etc etc. I don't see ladies do it, although it seems that about half the stangs and camaros are driven by females. Don't see as many vettes, but there are a few Z06s around and they don't seem to be that interested. See fewer porsches and vipers of course, and they drive around very calmly.

Suppose it's got something to do with maturity and driving experience....maybe driving a $90K car also makes the driver think more about consequences? As for me, I am totally disinterested in street-racing. Some of the fastest cars on the street are the slowest at the dragstrip.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
1987MustangGT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Age and testosterone are a factor for sure.

Corvettes and Porsches - like you say - seem to be driven by old men jacked up on sedatives. I'd guess only a fraction would ever take their car to a drag strip. I find it odd to buy a car made for speed and then forever drive it slow. There are a lot of cars that are more comfortable and offer better value if you're not worried about a four-second 0-60.

BMWs seem to be an exception where I live, though. People drive their 3-series cars around here like it's the Indy 500.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Jacked up on sedatives.
Oxymoron?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Corvettes and Porsches - like you say - seem to be driven by old men jacked up on sedatives.

You don't know that...no more than I know if you are a young pimply space cadet with a fragile ego (always have something to prove), although your posts tend to suggest that.

find it odd to buy a car made for speed and then forever drive it slow

You don't know that either. Being disinterested in street-racing does not mean driving slow...all the time. You arrive at lots of conclusions based on very little information.

guess only a fraction would ever take their car to a drag strip.

That is because you have not got a clue about owning such a vehicle. Owning vipers, porsches, ferraris, ZR1s and is not usually about racing light to light or ETs. Anyway these cars are made for circuits not straight-line 1/4s.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 01-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Sleeper seems to attract most attention from wanna be racers/jerks