Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Winter GT Daily Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Michilin Pilot Sports, Toolbox in the trunk, and Sport Mode have worked fine for me. Leaving TC fully on will stop you on a hill. SM allows just enough spin to get you going.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

This is about the only good thing about living in Southern California. No snow!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't say I like to, but until I replace the clutch and brakes in my Ranger it's all I got besides my Buell.

Driving a small truck with RWD only for the last 10 years was great practice so besides being ABLE to lose traction with my Stang if I want to, it's not a whole lot different.

Honestly though it's not my driving I'm worried about, it's other drivers. I'm constantly looking in my rearview mirror praying the guy behind me doesn't slide into my bumper. My dad laughs at me now becuase I use to drive my beater truck around with little worries about getting hit and now I sweat bullets anytime I see a soccer mom behind me (I kid I kid).
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

I drive my Mustang year-round in Chicago winters - some of the worst winters in the lower 48...especially in terms of snow and ice, due to the lake effect from Lake Michigan. Black ice galore!

I use Michelin X-ICE tires on the rear only (keep Pirelli's on the front) and they do GREAT. Makes a huge difference, and I'm sure if I had the money for front snow tires it'd be better! I'm also a 6-speed manual so that gives me the control I need. Only time I use TCS is when I'm on the highway because it amazingly does help - for stop and go, and stoplights and city driving, TCS off is the way to do it, but at higher speeds, TCS really can help in the winter (and by high speeds, I mean over 30mph).
Old 01-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imyy4u
I drive my Mustang year-round in Chicago winters - some of the worst winters in the lower 48...especially in terms of snow and ice, due to the lake effect from Lake Michigan. Black ice galore!

I use Michelin X-ICE tires on the rear only (keep Pirelli's on the front) and they do GREAT. Makes a huge difference, and I'm sure if I had the money for front snow tires it'd be better! I'm also a 6-speed manual so that gives me the control I need. Only time I use TCS is when I'm on the highway because it amazingly does help - for stop and go, and stoplights and city driving, TCS off is the way to do it, but at higher speeds, TCS really can help in the winter (and by high speeds, I mean over 30mph).
I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I was under the impression TCS should help with traction, being as it removes power from a wheel to keep it from spinning.

I'm getting the impression from most people in this thread though that it actually is doing the opposite? Why is that?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wpipes
I don't know a whole lot about cars, but I was under the impression TCS should help with traction, being as it removes power from a wheel to keep it from spinning.

I'm getting the impression from most people in this thread though that it actually is doing the opposite? Why is that?
I found with my TCS on I could not pull away from an intersection from a stop, it would nearly stall out my car trying. I was actually stuck at an intersection with a slight incline once until I turned the TCS off.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Rain
1st Gear Member

While the TCS certainly does help from keeping the tires spinning while moving, I can attest that if the traction is bad enough, trying to move from a complete stop with TCS on can actually net zero results.

Before I put my winter tires on, I was on ice once and my car refused to rev at all with TCS on. I could floor the accelerator and would get no throttle response whatsoever, so I had to turn TCS off.

Nice to hear from all you other winter commuters!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

I found a second set of stock rims on craigslist, put blizzaks on them, and get around just fine.

I would say it helps if you're familiar with RWD in the snow... I've never owned a FWD, so RWD is what I'm most comfortable with, and while the GT isn't as good as say, an old RWD Volvo in the snow, it doesn't embarass itself. I'm usually the first non-4WD vehicle to show up to work on snow days.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boondoggie
I found a second set of stock rims on craigslist, put blizzaks on them, and get around just fine.

I would say it helps if you're familiar with RWD in the snow... I've never owned a FWD, so RWD is what I'm most comfortable with, and while the GT isn't as good as say, an old RWD Volvo in the snow, it doesn't embarass itself. I'm usually the first non-4WD vehicle to show up to work on snow days.
I agree, and while my Mustang has a lot more power than my Ranger I find it much easier to control in the snow than the truck.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I've found that, when starting on a hill in snow/ice, I can start in 2nd gear, let the clutch out gently and allow the TC to modulate the power for me while maintaining consistent, light pressure on the throttle. I do have Bridgestone Blizzaks on all four wheels. I find the Mustang to actually be excellent in the snow! It certainly requires a different approach to winter driving than, say my old Taurus did, but I am VERY impressed with it!!

Quick Reply: Winter GT Daily Drivers?