Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best CAI without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Default Best CAI without tune?

Hey everyone, I've done some searching on here, just bought a 2010 GT, which was brand new, never purchased. Yes, a brand new 2010, haha...
Anyways, i'm still under warranty but I want to put on a new cold air intake, without having to get a tune. In y'alls opinion, which is the best? I have seen the Roush intake, the AirRaid, BBK, and K&N; so fire away!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
MurrietaStang

If you're not going to tune it I'd probably leave it as is. Doesn't the 2010 already come with a type of CAI? Really though, if you aren't going to tune it and you change the intake to a higher flow intake then I would think you'd either not gain very much if any or you might risk running too lean.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
1987MustangGT5.0
2nd Gear Member

How much was your 2010? How much are 2012 GTs where you live (price difference)? If you got a screaming deal, that's pretty cool.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MurrietaStang
If you're not going to tune it I'd probably leave it as is. Doesn't the 2010 already come with a type of CAI? Really though, if you aren't going to tune it and you change the intake to a higher flow intake then I would think you'd either not gain very much if any or you might risk running too lean.
Intake without a tune is more for appearance.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Yeah if you're not going to tune it, don't bother IMO. Majority of the improvement/difference is from the tune
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

What is your goal? Are you looking to add a tune down the road or are you going to be content with just the CAI?

You will definitely get better gains with a tune, but it is all up to you. Let us know if you plan on doing anything further to your gt?

Thanks

TJ
Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

1987MustangGT5.0- I got it for $26k, keep in mind brand new. The 2012 here in Knoxville, TN with the options I have in mine are going for around $38k before rebates.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may do a tune down the road, but I will need to be out of warranty first. What about the Roush intakes? they use the stock intake tube, but have a new piece for the MAF sensor, a cone filter, and the heat shielding. I have read 8-10hp gains and potentially 1-2mpg without a tune. Any more thoughts?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

oh, and I will probably put on a catback exhaust within the next six months or so, gotta build the bank account back up from the purchase of the car.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I was thinking the 2010's got the bullit intake strandard, si if you have an open element air filter under the hood, there's no need to mess with a good thing.

On the "no-tune" CAI's, the granatelli is the best because it doesn't restrict the airflow to stock levels with an insert, there is an adapter that plugs between the MAF and the cable for it that adjusts the signal the cars computer receives.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 AM
IA Shelby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Hey everyone, I've done some searching on here, just bought a 2010 GT, which was brand new, never purchased. Yes, a brand new 2010, haha...
Anyways, i'm still under warranty but I want to put on a new cold air intake, without having to get a tune. In y'alls opinion, which is the best? I have seen the Roush intake, the AirRaid, BBK, and K&N; so fire away!
You would be wasting your money to go this route in IMHO.

Get a real tune and be done with it. Flash back to stock before having serviced.

Quick Reply: Best CAI without tune?