Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

Default CAI Question.

Hello All,
I really hate to ask this question, but I'd like to hear some other opinions... I did do a generic search

I currently have an S&B intake on my car. It is Bama tuned for 91 octane. I saw a JLT in my travels for a pretty good price.
So, would the JLT be a upgrade from the S&B? Here are some differences I've noticed:
The S&B filter has a "restrictor plate", for lack of a better term, for what I assume makes it a "no-tune" intake. I assume, the JLT has no restrictions. Also the JLT has a larger filter and MAF housing.

I know the engine can only take so much air, so would the JLT actually provide more, or is the S&B giving it as much as it can handle? I don't have headers or a larger TB. Just looking to give my DD some more pep for now, haha.

Thanks in advance for answering. If you can point me to a link I may have missed, I appreciate it.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I suspect that you'd see very little gains, if any, by going to the JLT. You'd probably need a retune depending on the difference in airflow (Bama or Brenspeed could tell you) in which case you'd also need to buy a new tune and might see some single digit gains; barely butt-dyno noticeable.

I'm not familiar with the S&B. Is the restricter plate removable? If so, I'd see if removing it would require a retune and just do that.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick response.

The "restrictor plate" is not removable. It looks like its molded into the base of the filter, and you can see that the hole is .75 to 1.0 inch dia. smaller than the intake tube. Basically, the intake tube goes up against it when you join them together.

I think you're correct in there being small gains, but the other side of my brain is telling me "More air, Larger diameter piping, More power"...

Maybe I just got a case of idle hands, and need something to do, haha.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

If your car is stock other than the intake, don't spend the money on the JLT. Granted it is a better intake, but you will need a tune. I run a JLT on my car, just an FYI.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

A tune isn't an issue. I have the "Tunes for Life" deal with American Muscle...unless they changed something. I was just curious if a larger diameter intake was worth it, as opposed to my "no-tune" one.
I will be looking to further mod my car in the spring and summer though, if that changes anything.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How about you just do it, since you won't have to shell out $$ for the tune? That way, you won't regret NOT doing it. It sounds like you WANT to so why not? If you can afford the few $$s, then go for it. Let us know what you feel seat-of-the-pants.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM
thailand
1st Gear Member

Haha, true...I don't want to have any regrets. I'm going to think about this some more and see if it would really be worth anything. I know Jlt has an excellent rep, so I'll let you guys know if i go through with it.
Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM
J2L06GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thailand
A tune isn't an issue. I have the "Tunes for Life" deal with American Muscle...unless they changed something. I was just curious if a larger diameter intake was worth it, as opposed to my "no-tune" one.
I will be looking to further mod my car in the spring and summer though, if that changes anything.
Your "Free Tunes for Life" only applies to parts bought from AM.
If you get parts from someplace else you have to pay for new tune.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

That's odd, cause I didn't buy the S&B from them...
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

I'll have to give them a call...

Quick Reply: CAI Question.