Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger or crotch rocket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Wpipes
I would tend to disagree here. My first bike was a 1200cc, I've never wrecked and have only had a few close calls which had nothing to do with the size of the bikes engine.
The OP's talking "crotch rocket" type bike...
1200cc is almost over kill in that category.

If your 1200 was a cruiser or standard bike (sitting upright), then you're not even close to have the performance of a 600 sport bike.
Everything's relative...

The point is that if you're young and have more HP than skills because of lack of experience (which is often the case), you're better of on 4 wheels.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal

If your 1200 was a cruiser or standard bike (sitting upright), then you're not even close to have the performance of a 600 sport bike.
Everything's relative...

The point is that if you're young and have more HP than skills because of lack of experience (which is often the case), you're better of on 4 wheels.
Pascals definitely right. I COULDNT imagine starting out on my dads 1300 Busa. My gsxr600 is fast enough to get into trouble already.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I will just be honest. If it was me i would go for the bike. I have road a bike before and wrecked quite a few as well one of them very bad.

If your just starting out then get the supercharger and learn on a off road bike, trust me ground is much softer and usually your going slower than on pavement.

Just remeber the supercharger is less likely to kill you compared to the bike but the bike will bring in a whole new world of fun. The main thing is be careful on either one.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Well since I own both I can chime in somewhat. I'm finally getting a s/c for the 'stang after having money for it for years. My need for speed is usually tamed by the bike. I just found a deal I couldn't pass up on a s/c. I like to go to the strip and my 7,000 dollar bike ran a 9.8 qtr mile at 147mph and to make my car go that fast would be some serious change. So whenever someone says your stangs slow I say someone always has something faster and I say ill bring my bike. I have owned 6 bikes and as long as you don't drive like an idiot and be a defensive driver a majority of the time you'll be fine... just my 2 cents
Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal

Everything's relative...

It's a Buell Firebolt. So you decide what it is

Trust me though, it isn't lacking in the performance department.

I have a family member and a close friend who have both been in accidents, on a 600cc sports bike. It's not the cc's that get you into trouble...
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06gtdamon
Pascals definitely right. I COULDNT imagine starting out on my dads 1300 Busa. My gsxr600 is fast enough to get into trouble already.
Try learning on a 900lbs Harley Fatboy.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'll take this one guys.

Motorcycle all the way. It's not even a close race. It's not really about the speed for me. For the pure thrill of acceleration, I still prefer the mustang to pin me in my seat, even though both my motorcycles are faster.

Cornering is what a sport bike is all about. There is something magical about riding a winding rode on a high performance 2 wheeler that you can't get from a car. You become part of the machine. In a car, you are just along for the ride.

I love the roads in Western NC and Eastern Tenn. so much, I'm considering moving there! It helps that my parents live in Franklin, nc. If you have twisty roads where you live, then you are missing out by not owning a sport bike.

A Hayabusa is not a sport bike! If you are looking at a bike that weighs much more than 400 lbs dry weight, then I'd get the supercharger.

Last edited by moosestang; 01-30-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

ive been doing a lot research on on3 it seems it seems the plumping is really good but things like the intercooler, turbo and bov arent that good. some people from lightingrodder say they fried the turbo but it was cheap to upgrade that. i haven found any reviews or info on the new ceramic turbos he has now. but some speed shops are recomending them but then tweaking it here and there with a few upgrades. im going to pull the trigger and order mine next week. should cost me just shy of 4K for it and all the supporting mods and some that arent lol but ill let you know. im gonna install it myself when i come home in march
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Wpipes
It's a Buell Firebolt. So you decide what it is

Trust me though, it isn't lacking in the performance department.

I have a family member and a close friend who have both been in accidents, on a 600cc sports bike. It's not the cc's that get you into trouble...
Agreed, not the cc that necessarily get you in trouble but you'll be in trouble real quick if you don't know what you're doing. No room for error.
Anyway, the Firebolt is good for about 104hp with its 1125 cc and is light enough to throw in the corners and have plenty of fun...
But by today's standard, if you're not above 130/140 hp by the time your reach 1000cc, you're not really in pure sport bike territory.
It doesn't matter though, by the time you find yourself in the Carolinas mountains, all this horse power is useless.
Light weight and handling rules!!

Here's my bike:

1200cc (actually 1150) and about 130 ponies in its current form with 100lbs of torque.
Not considered sport but a standard/naked bike with up right riding position
Tons of fun.