Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

When do I change my engine oil? Which engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

cant go wrong with Mobil 1
Old 01-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
make sure, no matter what oil you pick
DO<not> follow this guy
WOW thats worse that Mr. Loctite LOL
Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Cobra 715

Originally Posted by ihavefat
This is a noob question but I just couldn't find a definite answer online. Some people wait until they put 3k or 5k miles and change. Some people change after 1k miles or some even 100 miles. When is the ideal time to change the engine oil?

I have a '12 gt and it's nearing 1000 miles. I do not mind spending time and money with the oil change.

I did hear our cars have additives in the engine oil from the factory so it should last until 5k but some say it's BS.

Also which brand is the best?
I did my first oil change to Mobil 1 at 3K miles and drove the car from NC to FL and the oil level stayed the same. I've been using M1 for more than 20 yrs. with no complaints.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I run M1 in my tow vehicle and change it early at 8k miles which is about every 4 months on average. I run Amsoil in the Stang although I may go to M1 since I'm not putting 1/3 as many miles on her as I did the first 2-3 years. Changing Amsoil after 1 year with only about 6k miles on it is getting too expensive.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Avoid the RP.
Since it has been available on the shelves
in the parts stores, it has gone downhill in quality.
Get the good stuff.
AmsOil.
And run it 10K miles.

M1 is good but there is a cheaper version of M1.
Dont make the mistake of getting the cheaper version.

And dont get me started on which brand of filter to use except to
avoid FRAM with a passion.

I run my expensive AmsOil oil thru the 09 Challenger
for 6 months and then put it in the 07 Mustang for
another 6 months.
Then it gets another 6 months in the 09 Chevy Aveo.
Filter changed every time.
I just dont get to 6000 miles in any car before the 6 moths has elapsed.

DONT DO THIS...
Oh yea, check the link in my signature

Last edited by 157dB; 01-21-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

With my 07, I did the first change at 1000 miles and continued at every 4-5000 with Mobile 1 and PureOne filters.

With my 11, the first change was at 7000 and I have had the dealer change it every 5-7000 since. I had vouchers for the oil changes..so I let the dealer do it.

I'm thinking of doing it myself again and going back to Mobile 1 with the PureOne filter.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Very good advice. I can't tell you how many people I know who THINK they are running Mobil 1. If it's not the full syn, it's not the right bottle.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM
TMSBOSS

Do you want to know what works best in your car with your driving style an your area?

Order a test kit for your oil. Several companies offer services where they send you a bottle, free of charge. You take a sample of your oil and send it to their lab. Tests are conducted and the results are sent to you via email.

Not too expensive. I have seen the service offered in the $20-40 range.

Considering the cost of oil $8.00 pluss for synthetic 8 quarts to refill plus the cost of the filter. If you are changing oil too early the test will show this. You may be able to extend or even double the interval between changes. Savings will add up quickly.

Run your car as you usually do, take a sample during your next change. Send in the sample and receive the Truth about the condition of your oil from a lab.

Not as much fun as sifting through all the opinions on line.........
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

I had my first oil change by the dealer at 1,500 miles. I change my oil and filter after every HPDE track day, so about once every two months and the track season is year round in Northern Cal. I've joined an oil change club at the local Ford dealer and they charge $20 per LOF. So Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter is used. Annual membership dues are $20. My mechanic recommends to switch to full synthetic at 15,000 miles. I currently have 10,000 after four years of ownership, mainly driving to Bay Area race tracks.
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic in my truck. These products are always available at Target or Walmart and usually on sale. I agree with "157db" about Fram filters, (fair quality), and choose Bosch or Purolator filters.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TMSBOSS
Do you want to know what works best in your car with your driving style an your area?

Order a test kit for your oil. Several companies offer services where they send you a bottle, free of charge. You take a sample of your oil and send it to their lab. Tests are conducted and the results are sent to you via email.

Not too expensive. I have seen the service offered in the $20-40 range.

Considering the cost of oil $8.00 pluss for synthetic 8 quarts to refill plus the cost of the filter. If you are changing oil too early the test will show this. You may be able to extend or even double the interval between changes. Savings will add up quickly.

Run your car as you usually do, take a sample during your next change. Send in the sample and receive the Truth about the condition of your oil from a lab.

Not as much fun as sifting through all the opinions on line.........
An oil analysis is a great tool for taking a snapshot of what your oil is being subjected to. Blackstone labs seems to be the most popular and they have a pretty good reputation.

I wouldn't necessarily base my oil change intervals solely on a lab report though. Your oil's inherant ability to lubricate is only one consideration in the great oil debate.
The folks who buy into extended oil change intervals always overlook the need to remove the contaminants and hydrocarbons from the engine. That is a critical consideration regardless of what brand of oil and filter you are using.

For that reason, I would never go beyond 5k miles under any circumstances.
Just my .02.

Quick Reply: When do I change my engine oil? Which engine oil?