Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

After 35 years of driving tractor trailers, not to mention artheritis in both shoulders, I`ll take an automatic, thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I love my manual but damn its such a relief to drive an automatic sometimes but it gets bored quick. The worst is Atlanta traffic though... Coming back from Panama City last year I was stuck in traffic for about 3 hours on 85 and it was terrible, my left knee was shot.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I like the twisties and the control of shift points, so manual for me. Automatic is for the other car.
If I were big on drag racing, it would be a different story.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I would be bored driving an auto, shifting the gears is what makes it fun.......hell I even use a manual on the video games.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

If you think automatics can't compete on a road course, you may have never heard of the Chaparral. In fact the last Formula One car fitted with a manually shifted gearbox raced in 1995, granted they are using automated manual gearboxes for mechanical efficiency. Citroen was a pioneer in auto shifting transmissions, and many of the fastest cars in the world including BMW and Ferrari use automatic shift transmissions. When it comes to fuel economy both the Honda civic auto and the Toyota Corolla auto get better fuel economy than the manual versions. Manual gearboxes are in wider use simply because they are cheaper, lighter, and usually give better performance, and fuel efficiency. However when it comes to technology, it seems manual shift transmissions are becoming yesterdays news. As far as pure mechanical efficiency a constant mesh clutch style automatic or manual shift transmission is going to win out over a planetary geared torque converter automatic. I know shifting manually is fun, however I thoroughly enjoy driving my twin screwed auto, so it's not like you can't have fun in an auto. Which one is better seems a bit subjective for a street driven car, as it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

what about 6 spd automatics? where is that option?

I never have to make an excuse about missing a gear or shifting at the wrong point. if i'm ever feeling bored when driving I just have to floor it and it cures the boredom pretty quickly. Every time I have a passenger with me when I do that it's always the same reaction, "HOLY ****!" followed by them laughing
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by rebus
If you think automatics can't compete on a road course, you may have never heard of the Chaparral. In fact the last Formula One car fitted with a manually shifted gearbox raced in 1995, granted they are using automated manual gearboxes for mechanical efficiency. Citroen was a pioneer in auto shifting transmissions, and many of the fastest cars in the world including BMW and Ferrari use automatic shift transmissions. When it comes to fuel economy both the Honda civic auto and the Toyota Corolla auto get better fuel economy than the manual versions. Manual gearboxes are in wider use simply because they are cheaper, lighter, and usually give better performance, and fuel efficiency. However when it comes to technology, it seems manual shift transmissions are becoming yesterdays news. As far as pure mechanical efficiency a constant mesh clutch style automatic or manual shift transmission is going to win out over a planetary geared torque converter automatic. I know shifting manually is fun, however I thoroughly enjoy driving my twin screwed auto, so it's not like you can't have fun in an auto. Which one is better seems a bit subjective for a street driven car, as it all comes down to personal preference.
You're taking everything out of context son...

The idea of a manual on a road course is to be in control of the drivetrain, using engine brake etc...
A conventional auto (fully automatic) just won't do on a road course.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:12 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Love the manual, live with the auto.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
what about 6 spd automatics? where is that option?

I never have to make an excuse about missing a gear or shifting at the wrong point. if i'm ever feeling bored when driving I just have to floor it and it cures the boredom pretty quickly. Every time I have a passenger with me when I do that it's always the same reaction, "HOLY ****!" followed by them laughing
I like this post!
Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Love the manual, live with the auto.
And die for the best of both worlds..........
Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 AM
MustangHEMIguy

Love automatics! Especially in traffic.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual