Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You're taking everything out of context son...

The idea of a manual on a road course is to be in control of the drivetrain, using engine brake etc...
A conventional auto (fully automatic) just won't do on a road course.
Son? Not sure how I'm taking everything out of context? The state of the art in automobiles use "fully automatic" computer controlled shifting and do quite well on a road course including downshifting. I quote "And as for the comments about downshifting and braking stability... first, the brakes are for slowing down! While engine braking will add some force, at track speed this is minor (and if you are relying on this, you simply aren't going fast enough) - and even then, the downshift into the corner happens when you are coming off the brakes, so this is no issue. As for stability under braking, this is related to the differential and has nothing to do with a car being an automatic or manual tranmission (an limited slip differential will greatly improve stability here and allow you to get much deeper into the corners)". I'm not saying that a conventional planetary geared torque converter type automatic would be competitive in sanctioned racing due to weight and parasitic losses. The OP originally asked what do we prefer, a manual or an automatic, pretty simple question, then the thread broke down to the usual which is better. I drive on the street and I enjoy my automatic, I don't think it's superior or inferior, If I was racing I'd use what was competitive in that class.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I agree with what some have mentioned, it goes down to personal reference. I love manual, but the only thing I hate is when I accidently switch to the wrong gear and the awful sound it makes, lol...
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by rebus
Son? Not sure how I'm taking everything out of context? The state of the art in automobiles use "fully automatic" computer controlled shifting and do quite well on a road course including downshifting. I quote "And as for the comments about downshifting and braking stability... first, the brakes are for slowing down! While engine braking will add some force, at track speed this is minor (and if you are relying on this, you simply aren't going fast enough) - and even then, the downshift into the corner happens when you are coming off the brakes, so this is no issue. As for stability under braking, this is related to the differential and has nothing to do with a car being an automatic or manual tranmission (an limited slip differential will greatly improve stability here and allow you to get much deeper into the corners)". I'm not saying that a conventional planetary geared torque converter type automatic would be competitive in sanctioned racing due to weight and parasitic losses. The OP originally asked what do we prefer, a manual or an automatic, pretty simple question, then the thread broke down to the usual which is better. I drive on the street and I enjoy my automatic, I don't think it's superior or inferior, If I was racing I'd use what was competitive in that class.
I give up...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I got an AT simply because all I do is city driving. I also did not want the burden of having to teach the wife how to drive a manual. She drives her Fusion like crash bandicoot, so she doesn't need anything else to focus on... Let alone, she won't be driving the 'stang because she can't see over the hood, haha.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Love my manual, especially on the twisty NC moutain roads.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
Love my manual, especially on the twisty NC moutain roads.
Yeah, manuals on the german back roads (twist and turns) are fun as #%#$%#
Old 02-05-2012, 03:09 AM
rebus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
I give up...
Ha ha, I totally understand your point! Given the same driver skill level, a torque converter conventional automatic Mustang wouldn't be competitive against a manual Mustang on a road course. I was just responding to what I felt was a bunch of auto trans bashing, with posters making blanket statements about automatic transmissions that were arguable at best. Some even disparaging the character of automatic owners. Strictly speaking driving fast isn't entirely dependent on the transmission type, a fast driver would still be fast driving an auto shift car. Given the proper design an automated shift transmission can be very competitive, the trouble is the cost, and rules prohibiting their use. No argument here that you can't beat a manual's performance per price ratio. I've owned stick cars, and I do know what you mean about the driver feeling more connected with a stick, but that is just one element in going fast around a track. Besides If fully automatic shifting weren't fast it wouldn't be banned in F1.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

unfortunately I grew up in a household that only knew how to drive automatics. I made the switch over to manual myself on my last car and I am forever hooked. the stang was no exception, it is my 2nd manual car now. I missed a good number of years that I could have been enjoying more

I feel like most car enthusiasts that enjoy driving will want more of a driving experience, that only a manual can provide. even as the automatics technology eclipses manuals in terms of efficiency and reliability, die hards keep sticking with the manual option. Shoot, look how many stang owners are going manual despite all of the MT82 issues.

that being said - it is a total user preference and I will not bash anyone who deems an automatic as the best choice for them, the reasoning will have no impact on my opinion for that. at the end of the day, we're all driving stangs, and the pros and cons to each are negligible, so pick what you enjoy the most!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:50 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

A manual gives me a feel of empowerment, an automatic just seems like bumper cars or a gocart........."ok put the pedal down honey lets go, that's it keep the pedal down."
Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by rebus
Ha ha, I totally understand your point! Given the same driver skill level, a torque converter conventional automatic Mustang wouldn't be competitive against a manual Mustang on a road course. I was just responding to what I felt was a bunch of auto trans bashing, with posters making blanket statements about automatic transmissions that were arguable at best. Some even disparaging the character of automatic owners. Strictly speaking driving fast isn't entirely dependent on the transmission type, a fast driver would still be fast driving an auto shift car. Given the proper design an automated shift transmission can be very competitive, the trouble is the cost, and rules prohibiting their use. No argument here that you can't beat a manual's performance per price ratio. I've owned stick cars, and I do know what you mean about the driver feeling more connected with a stick, but that is just one element in going fast around a track. Besides If fully automatic shifting weren't fast it wouldn't be banned in F1.
Actually, the thread isn't going into douchebaggerry yet...
If it comes close to that, it's a lock.

The manual/auto, V8/V6 and Turbo/Supercharger wars aren't tolerated here because it's plain dumb and never contributes to jack.

As for the subject at hand here, a smart man will pick a transmission type according to his/her car use and needs.
A city DD makes more sense on an auto and anything else is more enjoyable with the manual and even so, doesn't mean you have to pick the manual.
Some folks are more straight line oriented than cornering, so auto it is.
Makes sense...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual