Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Rocket - You forget that an automatic has more parasitic loss than a manual transmission, hence putting down less horsepower to the ground.
Yea, I realize the hp loss, but the quicker shifts?? I would think the auto would prevail albeit very close. I could see a well balanced driver tipping the scales in the manuals favor,however. But not two newbies at the strip, auto hands down. But hell I've been wrong almost my whole life.............why screw it up now!!lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Muney2bMade

So why does someone here mention automatic @ a drag strip hands down?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Muney2bMade
It has,But not often.
But not with equal 'stang GT"S. I think thats the concept we are talking about..................
Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
This guy
2nd Gear Member

Stick=fun
Auto=Boredom IMO
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Muney2bMade
An automatic wins at the drag strip for its consistency, not at being faster than a manual.

Have you ever gone to a drag strip? Your goal is to run a consistent time every pass. An auto is perfect for this because all you have to do is get a good launch and hold the go pedal to the floor. A manual is much harder to get a consistent launch from and then to concentrate on shifting at the same RPM in every gear without taking your eyes off of the track. There are some that can win with a manual, but they are a lot better driver than me.

If I went to the drag strip every weekend, I would definitely have an auto. But since I don't, I enjoy the connection with the car by shifting my gears manually.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
An automatic wins at the drag strip for its consistency, not at being faster than a manual.

Have you ever gone to a drag strip? Your goal is to run a consistent time every pass. An auto is perfect for this because all you have to do is get a good launch and hold the go pedal to the floor. A manual is much harder to get a consistent launch from and then to concentrate on shifting at the same RPM in every gear without taking your eyes off of the track. There are some that can win with a manual, but they are a lot better driver than me.

If I went to the drag strip every weekend, I would definitely have an auto. But since I don't, I enjoy the connection with the car by shifting my gears manually.
Uh, I see plenty of ''auto's'' maually shifted at the strip................just saying. Mebbe it's a good thing I live soo far away from a strip....lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
Uh, I see plenty of ''auto's'' maually shifted at the strip................just saying. Mebbe it's a good thing I live soo far away from a strip....lol.
My take.

I can shift every bit as fast as an automatic when I have a good adrenaline rush going.

The trouble is with getting a good launch. I think a solid set of rubbers and a nice hot surface is more important with a manual.

With my track tires on cold blacktop, I can burn to and sometimes past 3rd gear.

With my strip tires in mid July, no way.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

I wish I knew how that feels! Must be nice too pick the racing seat cover out your a$$ on a good launch! lol. I had ,well, close too that with my RAM, it's got some ***** when it comes too traction!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Matermine
1st Gear Member

I just purchased my first manual, not the biggest fan of it right now, but I do love having more control. I just feel like every odd noise is going to break something, or just the thought in the back of my mind "Oh, there goes another 2k miles off the clutch"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but auto's (that are DD and raced) have to change their timings every time they go to the track? I'd prefer to have that extra edge if ever tempted off the track.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matermine
I just purchased my first manual, not the biggest fan of it right now, but I do love having more control. I just feel like every odd noise is going to break something, or just the thought in the back of my mind "Oh, there goes another 2k miles off the clutch"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but auto's (that are DD and raced) have to change their timings every time they go to the track? I'd prefer to have that extra edge if ever tempted off the track.
Ha, I still get nervous when I hear my transmission when I push the clutch in and move the stick.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual