Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
To say that a performance car needs to have a manual transmission with three pedals, though, is just ignorant. I know people here love their mustangs, but I don't think anyone is on that level of performance. If the dual-clutch manuals with only two pedals are good enough for F1, they're good enough for me.
You have a dual-clutch manual transmission in your Mustang? I didn't know that was an option!

Seriously, you are grouping the Mustang's automatic transmission with the Formula 1 dual-clutch automated manual because it has the same number of pedals? LOL

Last edited by jdmcbride; 03-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I love driving a manual over an auto. I don't care what is faster on the track, 9 days out of 10 I'm enjoying my car on the street and a stick is what i want to drive.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
You have a dual-clutch manual transmission in your Mustang? I didn't know that was an option!
Just saying if it were an option , I think the op meant. On the other hand , had I an f1 I would not be talking mustangs...........just saying.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Most other performance cars have gone this way... I'm waiting for Ford to catch up and get serious about their two pedal cars.

In all honesty, though, when I was looking at buying a porsche, I was still leaning towards getting a traditional three-pedal. The PDK is a blast to drive, and upshifts and downshifts perfectly through every curve I took it on. I was amazed when it executed the hill crest decreasing radius right turn immediately into downhill left curve perfectly, and I came out with just as much power as I went in with. Breathtaking, really, and better than I could have done any day with three pedals.

But there's just something missing.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Ya, know all this talk 'bout clutches..........ironic thing is, if your good enough, (shifting), you'll never need one! Even at a dead stop, a quick flick of the wrist firmly, will put her into first. Then it's just a matter of matching the gears with the rpm's of the motor. Needless too say power shifting is not an option with this technique, niether is longevity for that matter.............
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
nfordhk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
Ya, know all this talk 'bout clutches..........ironic thing is, if your good enough, (shifting), you'll never need one! Even at a dead stop, a quick flick of the wrist firmly, will put her into first. Then it's just a matter of matching the gears with the rpm's of the motor. Needless too say power shifting is not an option with this technique, niether is longevity for that matter.............
What about down shifting and clutch kicking?

I <3 manual.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nfordhk
What about down shifting and clutch kicking?

I <3 manual.
down shifting -yes, clutch kicking...not so much. ..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
Just saying if it were an option , I think the op meant. On the other hand , had I an f1 I would not be talking mustangs...........just saying.
Yea, it would be a $10,000+ option... LOL

But I do agree that Ford needs to at least add the paddle shifters to the automatic (to at least give auto owners a more sporty feel). Ford has them on other cars in their current line up.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Yea, it would be a $10,000+ option... LOL

But I do agree that Ford needs to at least add the paddle shifters to the automatic (to at least give auto owners a more sporty feel). Ford has them on other cars in their current line up.
two pedal manuals generally aren't any more expensive than automatics
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The $10k+ was for a F1 tranny. I checked the 7 speed automated manual in the Aston Martin V8 Vantage and it was only $3,600. But that is about 3 times the auto option for the Mustang.

And please don't call it a two pedal manual (that sounds ignorant)... its an automated manual.

http://www.astonmartin.com/cars/v8-v...adster/options

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual