Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford racing or Roush CAI and who's tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 AM
bakon

Default Ford racing or Roush CAI and who's tune?

This is for a 2006 GT, manual, with no mods yet a Roush off road exhaust (cat back) is sitting in garage waiting to go on at same time. Wifes car, 7000 miles, only occasionally driven and rarely do we get on it hard.

Have decided on either of these two CAI and tuner
1) Ford CAI and tuner from American Muscle at $310 with the Bama tuner at $380 for $690 total

2) Roush CAI and tuner combo from Stage 3 at $630.

Both appear to come with same tuner SCT X-Calibrator 3 Handheld Tuner, and both companies offering lifetime tunes.

Roush filter is washable, Ford will need a $40 filter each time.

Not interested in other brands, went through the threads and know some flow more. Ford and Roush have the look I want, plus both are race supporting companies, which I support.
So money wise the Stage 3 set up is winning, plus the customer support I received buying the exhaust off them was great.

But whose tunes? Anyone use either company for tuner? or either of these CAI? more concerned with quality service/parts/tune, than I am with saving a couple dollars.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd go with Bama since they have a long history and great track record here. The CAI choice is a matter of preference since the CAI's are equivalent in performance and the tune is about 80% of the power gainer.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
bakon

Thanks. anyone else got an opinion?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Yea bama has great service, brenspeed is also a great company with awesome customer service. Either way u will be fine
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Im in the same spot. Im leaning more toward the ford CAI.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Have you looked at the new "race" Airaid intake available through AM? I believe airaid even makes the roush intakes, so they may be very similar in design. You might like it.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid...er-0509gt.html
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
bakon

I read the same thing about Airaid making the Roush cai. They look exactly the same except the word on the tube. Can anyone verifiy it?

Good to know AM has good support.Wish the Ford had a reusable flilter and the tuner was a combo with a slight discount.

Stage 3 offers a 5 percent military discount on top so the Roush would be pulling ahead except for the lack of knowledge on the tune. Their site is nice, just no feedback from in here on the tunes.

I am leaning towards paying more through AM for the Ford cai with the good feedback the tunes have. Wish they offered the Roush.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I believe AM has a military discount as well. PM AMChrisYoung and I'm sure he can hook you up with something.

They literally just used to have the FRPP intake/tuner combo, they must have just recently done away with it. Also I'm almost positive it's true that Airaid makes the roush intake.

Not knocking Stage3 at all btw, just don't have any experience with them. If I get my headers through AM, I'm going to be getting the SSS adrenalines from them as an axle back.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
bakon

I should correct what I said in last line, AM does offer the Roush, but not in a kit and $30 more than the Ford Racing.
AM total would be $340 cai and $380 tuner for $720.
Stage 3 is offering at $630 right now, 5 percent military discount brings it to $600.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

If you are planning to go with headers and other stuffs later, Brenspeed and Am are the way to go. If you are looking at ONLY CAI, both Roush and FRPP are good too. Just make sure that their "free lifetime tuning" are good for adding other brand products, otherwise you have to purchase a tune later when you add more parts. Good luck

Quick Reply: Ford racing or Roush CAI and who's tune?