Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech Supercharger V3 Brenspeed VS stage 1 KB

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I've been going back and forth with SC choices as well. Has anyone looked into the new Magnuson SC for the 2011/2012 5.0? I know most guys go with KB, Roush or other centri SC's, but I was just curious what ya'll thought.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

i dont know much about them there not new just newer to the mustang world my buddy had one on hos 04 gto. so i dont know how they will perform on fords
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
i dont know much about them there not new just newer to the mustang world my buddy had one on hos 04 gto. so i dont know how they will perform on fords
That's what I meant "New to Mustang". They are big with Vettes as well. Just wondering if anyone has ran into or knows anyone who has tried one out with a Mustang yet. Thanks though.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Pretty sure they're good for 550whp @8 psi.. Good stuff, M2300 TVS.. same internals as the E-force, R2300 Roush..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

The brenspeed packages are great. I got the paxton novi kit from them. Everything i needed was in the package and the tune came promptly from them. I did the instal myself with no issues. Also got some money off for already having the sct tuner.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys. I think I may go with a Magna Charger. I'm sure I can make more power with a centri SC or KB, but putting on a maggie will be different and I like that too.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
rookieassstangrookie

Wow lots of posts.

My trans is auto.

I dont plan on having brenspeed do the engine upgrades for me.

Good point about the boosta pump vs cobra fuel pump ill have to read up on that. I havnt looked at procharger much, ill look into them today. I believe twin turbo is legal in ohio, my state, but im not sure. I prefer superchargers over turbos but maybe thats a dated view, I guess as long as the power is there who cares how it gets there.

Thats disappointing to hear the brenspeed has trouble hitting higher numbers. I like the KB and whipple but I was really leaning toward a system I could purchase now and upgrade later, and im a bit worried that the kb pushes the limits on the stock motor a bit to far. Ive read the "safe" mark is generally agreed to be around 425 torque, and the KB is closer to 500. Are there any other systems that anyone knows of that starts you out around 425-450 torque and can be upgraded later with good results?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rookieassstangrookie
Wow lots of posts.

My trans is auto.

I dont plan on having brenspeed do the engine upgrades for me.

Good point about the boosta pump vs cobra fuel pump ill have to read up on that. I havnt looked at procharger much, ill look into them today. I believe twin turbo is legal in ohio, my state, but im not sure. I prefer superchargers over turbos but maybe thats a dated view, I guess as long as the power is there who cares how it gets there.

Thats disappointing to hear the brenspeed has trouble hitting higher numbers. I like the KB and whipple but I was really leaning toward a system I could purchase now and upgrade later, and im a bit worried that the kb pushes the limits on the stock motor a bit to far. Ive read the "safe" mark is generally agreed to be around 425 torque, and the KB is closer to 500. Are there any other systems that anyone knows of that starts you out around 425-450 torque and can be upgraded later with good results?
With an auto you could go either go twin screw(TS) (KB or whipple) or the Vortech. However, in order to reach the 600 hp range you will need a tranny and engine upgrade. With the TS you can keep the stock stall speed, with the Vortech or Centri blower, you will need to stall the tranny to get the engine into the operating range where it make power if you want to be fast at the track. A pretty dyno number is cool, but when you go to the track and someone making 100 rwhp less in the same car beats you, it embarassing. In my expereince, Twin Screw, turbo and Centri, the TS is the easiest to tune, easist to drive and easiest to make big power. The KB 2.6 will fill your needs, as will the Whipple, at a slightly higher PSI. The KB is bigger and will get you into the mid 600 rwhp range with heads and cams. But it runs a little hotter. The vortech will need to be upgraded to a larger unit to make more power. Consider everything. The KB I have now makes 540 rwhp on a street tune and is faster than anything that should be driven on the street. It ran a best of 11.05 on crap tires, gets 22 mpg on the freeway and sounds awesome.

Think about your purchase before you pony up. Dont do something different because its different. Sometimes it's different because it's not as good. Like the magna charger. Just say no.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Think about your purchase before you pony up. Dont do something different because its different. Sometimes it's different because it's not as good. Like the magna charger. Just say no.
You've got a good point. I originally thought about KB until I heard Magnuson was making one for Mustangs and starting thinking about it. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
rookieassstangrookie

Originally Posted by Simon1
With an auto you could go either go twin screw(TS) (KB or whipple) or the Vortech. However, in order to reach the 600 hp range you will need a tranny and engine upgrade. With the TS you can keep the stock stall speed, with the Vortech or Centri blower, you will need to stall the tranny to get the engine into the operating range where it make power if you want to be fast at the track. A pretty dyno number is cool, but when you go to the track and someone making 100 rwhp less in the same car beats you, it embarassing. In my expereince, Twin Screw, turbo and Centri, the TS is the easiest to tune, easist to drive and easiest to make big power. The KB 2.6 will fill your needs, as will the Whipple, at a slightly higher PSI. The KB is bigger and will get you into the mid 600 rwhp range with heads and cams. But it runs a little hotter. The vortech will need to be upgraded to a larger unit to make more power. Consider everything. The KB I have now makes 540 rwhp on a street tune and is faster than anything that should be driven on the street. It ran a best of 11.05 on crap tires, gets 22 mpg on the freeway and sounds awesome.

Humm, good point. Well I guess I am back to TS then. I was leaning towards it before I posted but found the Vortech and the idea of a lower starting cost with investment later was appealing.

My main concern with the KB and wipple is that on a stock engine they are really pushing the limits of what it can handle. Im assuming your not running 540 rwhp stock? Ive read once you go over about 425-450 rw torque, which would be around 450-475 hp roughly, you are gonna start loosing engine components, connecting rods pistons crank and the like.

I plan to eventually upgrade the engine and trans to handle 600+ hp, but presently I would like to keep everything stock, add the sc for some power now and do the engine and trans upgrades later, then increase the boos on the sc.

Last edited by rookieassstangrookie; 02-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger V3 Brenspeed VS stage 1 KB