Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Most fun for a stock n/a 2010 gt first time around
From 3.31s to 4.10s (already have a tuner)
50.00%
Full exhaust (LTs, midpipe, axlebacks)
26.67%
Suspension (springs, shocks/struts, panhard)
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Default Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?

Currently n/a and 100% stock. Just purchased RTR wheels and some 275/40 Cooper Zeon tires all around.

Credit card is ready, just trying to decide which would be the most 'fun' as I won't have this kinda cash to blow for a good long, long time..
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

I vote exhaust system just because I can't have long tubes here in California dang smog laws suck.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I voted for gears, I love mine.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I went 3.31 to 4.10 and it's a far bigger gain in acceleration than full exhaust. I also have longtubes/off road-x/bassani race mufflers so speaking from experience. Make sure you get some lower control arms with those gears or you'll get bad wheel-hop.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

you forgot: ALL OF THE ABOVE

Hard to vote on just one of those...i'd do them all
Old 09-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

A Minority Opinion To Be Discarded As Too Sensible

I know I will be hated for this treasonous and completely un-American opinion, but you might just save your money and enjoy what you have! OMG! Why?

Why? I think the tuner is the most bang for the buck and after that you may just be spending money because you love your car and want to have fun doing something new with it! The only upgrades I have found that gave great "bang for the buck" were a tuner, cold air intake, or if you have the bucks for it... a Roush supercharger! If it is possible I'd save big time for the supercharger! I've put lots of those other mods on cars spending thousands, but the difference in HP with a supercharger makes it a different car completely without all those other mods!

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 AM
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

Going from 3.31 to 4.10 gears + tune will really wake up your car. It was a huge improvement on my Wife's Mustang. Shifts to 2nd & 3rd would chirp the tires & pitch the car sideways a bit under full throttle. City mpg actually got better by 3mpg & only lost about 2mpg hwy.

Last edited by heslekrants; 09-17-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Ranzo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
A Minority Opinion To Be Discarded As Too Sensible

I know I will be hated for this treasonous and completely un-American opinion, but you might just save your money and enjoy what you have! OMG! Why?

Why? I think the tuner is the most bang for the buck and after that you may just be spending money because you love your car and want to have fun doing something new with it! The only upgrades I have found that gave great "bang for the buck" were a tuner, cold air intake, or if you have the bucks for it... a Roush supercharger! If it is possible I'd save big time for the supercharger! I've put lots of those other mods on cars spending thousands, but the difference in HP with a supercharger makes it a different car completely without all those other mods!
I've wrestled with this, the idea of just going straight to a supercharger, and the consensus has been thus far that before I supercharge I should build from the ground up. That is why the mods listed are 'supporting mods' and not cosmetic or really replaceable like a cai, udp, etc. I have a very small tight knit list and plan on keeping this car for a long time.

So no, I don't hate you at all.

On that same note.. it looks like most say 4.10s. I'll be ordering them tonight or tomorrow unless the forums change my fate!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

You'll be happy with gears. When you order, make sure you are absolutely sure it's FRPP gears and not Motive. Apparently the FRPP are less likely to develope whine. AmericanMuscle actually clarifies this. Make sure you take it to a shop that regularly works on rear ends.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
You'll be happy with gears. When you order, make sure you are absolutely sure it's FRPP gears and not Motive. Apparently the FRPP are less likely to develope whine. AmericanMuscle actually clarifies this. Make sure you take it to a shop that regularly works on rear ends.
+1 on both. Good gears and good shop are critical. That said, going to 4.10 from 3.55 made a huge difference for me - way bigger than the CAI + tune. These motors make so much of their power on the top end that the gears help you use it! If you go exhaust, do it for the sound, not the speed (because you might not even notice it in the butt dyno).

Quick Reply: Came into a windfall.. which should I buy?