Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Date and time of original post: 02-08-2012, 02:30 PM...I'm glad you think your paper weight has some type of value lol
LOL!!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninja920
I guess it's the cool thing to say on mustang forums that throttle body spacers are a joke. Try one. You will see an increase in HWY MPG by at least two. Throttle response is much better as well. You like giving anyone **** for a simple question.
How old are you?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

...Try one. You will see an increase in HWY MPG by at least two. Throttle response is much better as well. You like giving anyone **** for a simple question.
Sorry, but I'd need to see the data before I refrain from saying you're full of chit. How many dozens of before data points and dozens of after data points are you basing that 2 mpg gain on? I've logged thousands of fuel mileage data from about a dozen vehicles on the same 1000 mile stretch of highway over many years and the "do nothing" mod can, by itself, have a 2-4 mpg variance. Of course, if your fuel supply was identical from tank to tank, that might help reduce one of the dozen or more variables.

Your TB spacer is a piece of metal with no scientific basis. You were duped, period. It's that placebo effect; my Stang is faster after it's been washed and waxed.

Last edited by Nuke; 03-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:23 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

It's actually called "confirmation bias". There's a tendency to rearrange or invent data points to agree with a preconception, post purchase.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM
JimC

If the 1" spacer is going to give so much power and MPG, then why not simply put a 12" spacer on and move the throttle body even further?

Really what do you think moving the throttle body further out is going to do in a fuel injected car? It isn't like the older carburetor cars where the fuel and air is mixed and you actually are increasing the runner length (and cooling the fuel/air mixture to some extent) by inserting a spacer between the manifold and the carburetor.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

But you are making the air swirl! And look how fast a tornado goes by swirling!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
ninja920

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Date and time of original post: 02-08-2012, 02:30 PM...I'm glad you think your paper weight has some type of value lol
Ok, I know my car. After going from a paper air filter to a K&N filter my MPG dropped. After putting on the TB spacer my MPG went up along with my throttle response. How in the **** is that just a paper weight then? You must have some monster really cool CAI that makes 800 HP. I didn't get the TB spacer as a performance add on.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Ok, I know my car. After going from a paper air filter to a K&N filter my MPG dropped. After putting on the TB spacer my MPG went up along with my throttle response. How in the **** is that just a paper weight then? You must have some monster really cool CAI that makes 800 HP. I didn't get the TB spacer as a performance add on.
No, I don't have a CAI that makes that big of power because they don't exist. Same goes for your paper weight magic beans TB spacer. It makes no difference. Keep looking for ways to justify your purchase while the rest of us live in the real world.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 PM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Some say a tb spacer offers a 'whistle' noise when the throttle is engaged...

whooppidee doo. I'll ride shotgun and whistle at ya the whole trip for half the cost of a spacer if that's what someone wants to pay for.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by azdevil1
Some say a tb spacer offers a 'whistle' noise when the throttle is engaged...

whooppidee doo. I'll ride shotgun and whistle at ya the whole trip for half the cost of a spacer if that's what someone wants to pay for.
OR you can just add the whistle tips! WOO WOO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZD-A...D-ADArwXo#t=58

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 03-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer