Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 surge

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
akasealy

Question 2006 surge

Hello.... So I have a 2006 GT. about 2 months ago it began surging only when cold. It got progressively worse, still only when cold. I replaced fuel filter cleaned MAF and throtle body went away for like 2 days and now its back not as bad and doesnt do it everytime. It usually happens while the car is parked for about 3 hours I get in turn the key put it in drive brake to slow down give it some gas and bam thats where it happens ... surge - low idle -surge - low idle -surge - give it some gas its fine after that. And now its only happening sometimes not everytime when its cold, what I usually do is drop it into neutral give it a lil gas let the rpm drop and put it back in drive and its okay, doesnt do it any time or any where else. has about 40k miles on it replaced Altenator about 6 months ago. Don't know what else to do. No check engine light and when scanned not a single fault code.

sealy
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akasealy
Hello.... So I have a 2006 GT. about 2 months ago it began surging only when cold. It got progressively worse, still only when cold. I replaced fuel filter cleaned MAF and throtle body went away for like 2 days and now its back not as bad and doesnt do it everytime. It usually happens while the car is parked for about 3 hours I get in turn the key put it in drive brake to slow down give it some gas and bam thats where it happens ... surge - low idle -surge - low idle -surge - give it some gas its fine after that. And now its only happening sometimes not everytime when its cold, what I usually do is drop it into neutral give it a lil gas let the rpm drop and put it back in drive and its okay, doesnt do it any time or any where else. has about 40k miles on it replaced Altenator about 6 months ago. Don't know what else to do. No check engine light and when scanned not a single fault code.

sealy
Two things come to mind...plugs might be starting to act up and/or you may have some sticky injectors...run a couple cans of seafoam through the tank...if the same continues...then I would change plugs...
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

My '06 GT started doing the same thing when I replaced the battery. I have tried the "tune reset" stated in the owners manual, replaced the plugs, and changed the fuel filter. In a few weeks I am getting a JLT CAI and custom tune (good excuse for an upgrade). Hope that fixes it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

My 06 GT has done this once and then never did it again. I would be interested in potential fixes.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

my 06 does it too...hmmm
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Ablaze
1st Gear Member

Strange this has been showing up recently around the forums. I hope you get it fixed, must be the weather..
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM
akasealy

So I bought some redline injector cleaner all they had at the time at the auto part store seems to be okay now. I just picked up a can of the seafoam will put that in soon.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akasealy
So I bought some redline injector cleaner all they had at the time at the auto part store seems to be okay now. I just picked up a can of the seafoam will put that in soon.
keep us posted..
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Can't say I've every experienced the surge. Once when disconnecting the battery, my idle surged a little, but it corrected itself pretty quickly.

You all have stock throttle bodies? I know I've seen posts about dealers replacing TB to fix a similar problem.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Stock tb here

Quick Reply: 2006 surge