Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brembo vs non brembo stoping distance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Default Brembo vs non brembo stoping distance

Has anyone seen this comparrison?

I know the brembos will stop more consitanly than the stocker brakes, but do they actually grab any harder?

I have seen the 60-0 brakeing tests for the 2011 Mustang GT, but they where all brembo cars at around 105ft.

What would the standard GT do 60-0 in?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I don't have a direct comparison for you, but I can tell ya that it's really for increased resistance to brake fade, rather then shortening the stopping distance.

stopping distance is largely controlled by tire imo
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Someone would have to fit a standard GT with the Pirelli summer-only tires.. of the same size as the brembo package tires, to get a real comparison. That's probably never gonna happen.

That said, despite the fact that everyone says the bigger brakes only help with fade.. I find it hard to believe that the increase surface area of the pad and rotor dont help reduce stopping distance.

Maybe this is a bad example.. but:

You have a spinning disk

You also have two pairs of tweezers.. one has "heads" that have a surface area of .5 inches. The other is a full 1 inch.

Shouldn't it take more force to stop the disk with the smaller tweezers? It seems like the brembos would apply the right amount of friction faster than a smaller pad/rotor combo.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Someone would have to fit a standard GT with the Pirelli summer-only tires.. of the same size as the brembo package tires, to get a real comparison. That's probably never gonna happen.

That said, despite the fact that everyone says the bigger brakes only help with fade.. I find it hard to believe that the increase surface area of the pad and rotor dont help reduce stopping distance.

Maybe this is a bad example.. but:

You have a spinning disk

You also have two pairs of tweezers.. one has "heads" that have a surface area of .5 inches. The other is a full 1 inch.

Shouldn't it take more force to stop the disk with the smaller tweezers? It seems like the brembos would apply the right amount of friction faster than a smaller pad/rotor combo.
It would help stopping performance, but, if you slam the brakes on both and you feel your ABS going off you are tire/traction limited. So, while I'm sure it does have more stopping power and potential to stop quicker you'd probably need some really, really sticky tires to take advantage of it.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Your getting a better caliper, but I think the main difference are the pads that come with the kit. If you don't want to spend the money on the brake kit, but want more braking power, look into getting a performance pad for your stock calipers. You can always upgrade to a complete brake package later.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

The contact patch between the front tire and the road dictates stopping distance. Wider tires mean shorter stopping distance, especially if the brakes lock up. ABS modulates brake pressure to prevent lockup, which prevents sliding and loss of control. The wider area of contact between the pad and the rotor means nothing, as far as stopping distance. Brake temperatures, and boiling point of the brake fluid determine resistance to brake fade. Check out Sam Stranos site. He recommends new pads, rotors, stainless steel lines and Dot 5.1 brake fluid. Brembos may look great, but they are not better than the stock brakes. Invest your money in the widest, lightest, and stickiest tires and wheels to reduce unsprung weight, and reduce stopping distance. Add the Strano upgrade package for about $700.00 (Total about $2800.00) and you are way ahead of the Mustang Brembo brake, wheel, tire combination. I recommend Enkei PF01 18 x 9.5 with a .45 offset with Hankook Ventus R-S3 285/35ZR-18 tires. Volschlag offers 10" wide rims that are even better, because they're lighter than the Enkeis.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:12 PM
rebus
1st Gear Member

I switched to the GT500 brakes mainly due to heat checking the stock rotors on my local mountain roads. The 14" rotors are around 6 pounds heavier than stock, effectively giving me a larger heat-sink which cured the heat checking problem. When we compared the stock GT brakes with my buddies 2003 M3, the GT brake calipers are 2 piston as opposed to a single piston on the M3 and the GT calipers are physically larger. The stock GT brake calipers are no slouch for sure, but in my case the stock rotors couldn't hold up to the constant heating of downhill mountain driving.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Initial stopping distance is determined by tire size and composition, PERIOD.

5" diameter rotors with pads the size of business cards can lock up any average tire... once.

Stopping distance after the tenth 120 to 30mph stop, however, is almost entirely determined by rotor diameter and pad composition, as the above set of brakes mentioned would have caught on fire after the 3rd or 4th one. Larger diameter rotors not only can absorb more heat due to their greater mass, but give more precise control of braking pressure due to the greater moment of arm. Pads are pretty self-explanatory.

So the answer is - if you put the Brembo package tires on the non-Brembo GT, it will stop just as fast as the Brembo package mustang. If you put stickier tires on the non-BBP mustang, it will stop shorter.

On the sixth hot lap of Laguna Seca is where having the Brembo package will make the difference.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

For the great majority of mustang owners here on this site, a pad change will cure any brake fade or stopping problems. The OEM pads faded everytime I made a pass at the strip, causing vibration and hot spots on the from rotors. Changing pads and replacing the damaged front rotors cured my issue and I can now stop from 130+ mph with no brake fade. I still have the regular fluid and I am not sure how I would benifit from changing. I don't road race, I don't drive like an asz hat, so I will never get my fluid to boil.

But, back to the topic. I wonder if there is a direct comparison or a test that has already been done.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Everything is relative...
But yeah, a good set of tire is the starter point.
Brembos are really made for racing environment, so unless you're planing on getting arrested or worse, you'll never get the bull benefit of them on the streets.

You will have more stopping power with 14" rotors though.lol.
So a test with different results would have do involve upgrading in rotor size.

Like Simon says, a good set of pads is what you need for your DD.

Quick Reply: Brembo vs non brembo stoping distance