Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock muffler question

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Default Stock muffler question

I want to make my mustang sound better obviously and I know one option is to simply take a hacksaw to the mufflers and straight pipe it.

But I've got something a little more creative in mind and I need to know a couple things.

First of which is; how will it sound straight piped? I know I can look it up on YouTube but I want to hear some first hand experiences. Will it sound raspy? Rumbly? Poppy? Etc

Second being could someone describe the insides of the muffler or provide a diagram or a picture of one cut in half.

Thirdly, will straight piping hurt it in any way? I don't think it would but I'm a trained monkey when it comes to cars, and haven't tried it before, maybe some kind of magic with back pressure or lack there of effecting the exhaust?

I've got a good bit of metal working skill and I'd like to test this idea I've got. I'll post what I do when I'm done. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

It won't hurt the car at all to gut it. Sound, well that's all based on your preferance. Some will think it sounds great and others think it will sound like a fainting goat farting. It WILL be raspy and probaby poppy on deceleration.

It's not a bad way to do it if on a very limited budget but usually even basic axelback kits will sound a lot better.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Not so much the budget thing, cops around me don't like loud exhaust so I figure I might try being a smart @$$
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Remove your mufflers and tie up the pipes and see how they sound. That'll be a good indication of straight-pipes. You'll get tired of them being a little loud, probably.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hacksaw???? Have you even been UNDER the car yet? Just undo the axleback bolts and hangers and wiggle the axlebacks off and see how (bad) it sounds. Also, you won't gain any performance to speak of. The stock muffs flow quite well.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Hacksaw???? Have you even been UNDER the car yet? Just undo the axleback bolts and hangers and wiggle the axlebacks off and see how (bad) it sounds. Also, you won't gain any performance to speak of. The stock muffs flow quite well.
Nope :P not under the rear end anyway. Haven't had her more than a year and I've only ever changed the brakes and oil.

And I'm strictly doing it for sound performance wasn't my goal.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rylay
Nope :P not under the rear end anyway. Haven't had her more than a year and I've only ever changed the brakes and oil.

And I'm strictly doing it for sound performance wasn't my goal.
Bolt on some Pype Bomb axle backs. They are about the most obnoxious sounding exhaust I have ever heard. I think they sound like *** but they are loud.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I'll look into them thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rylay
I'll look into them thanks
I should have also said that if you have the cats in the pype bombs sound ok. I have an off road pipe and they are LOUD on my car.

Go to American Muscle's website and listen to the exhaust clips.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

Yea my cats are saying on till I can find someone to lie for me for emissions. I'm not going to do the whole "put um back on every 2 years" thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock muffler question