Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2012 5.0, idle rough, smoking from tail pipe????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
old_skool_boost

Default 2012 5.0, idle rough, smoking from tail pipe????

Ok, so my wife just called and said she got off work and went to start the car and it was idling really rough, smoking out of the exhaust and throwing a check engine light. She freaked out and called me, expecting me to diagnose and fix over the phone or something....... whatever. Anyway, shut it off waited a few minutes, then started it back up, now running fine with no check engine light. 1/2 tank of fuel, and was running fine this morning, never had any issues. 6,300 miles on it. Has anyone heard of this on the coyote engines?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
old_skool_boost

Wife got home, I realized the gas door was not fully closed. It just rained like crazy the night before. Is it possible water somehow got into the tank?????
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

Possible but I believe just leaving the gas door open will throw a code. Not sure about it running rough though.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Shouldn't have. O ring on metal flap in fiill neck would seal it. Now if you shove a nozzle in there to fill it with water laying on the flap..... well then yea it's in the tank.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The code is probably from your gas cap being loose. I wouldn't think that would cause it to run rough, but maybe.

A little water won't hurt anything. I'm sure there's a little water in everyones tank, you can thank the corn lobbyists for that.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
old_skool_boost

well, closed the door and it has been running fine since. I hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by moosestang
The code is probably from your gas cap being loose. I wouldn't think that would cause it to run rough, but maybe.

A little water won't hurt anything. I'm sure there's a little water in everyones tank, you can thank the corn lobbyists for that.
I don't think that the 2012 has a "gas cap" - isn't it just a flap that you push the nozzle in rather than a cap like on the 2005-2009?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang

One of the things we do when preflighting an aircraft is check the fuel for acceptable water content
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
One of the things we do when preflighting an aircraft is check the fuel for acceptable water content
Well if my mustang could fly, then I'd probably do that too.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't think that the 2012 has a "gas cap" - isn't it just a flap that you push the nozzle in rather than a cap like on the 2005-2009?
Really? That's going to suck when gas prices go up and people start siphoning gas. I guess someone will make a locking gas door.

Quick Reply: 2012 5.0, idle rough, smoking from tail pipe????