Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Default Performance mods

Hello folks. I have a 2005 Roush Sport and am thinking it's time to do some performance improvements. I currently have an Airraid CAI and 93 race tune from Bama.

At this point a supercharger is out of the question so I'm looking for advice for the best mods for the money. I have a set of FRPP Hot Rod cams and the FRPP intake manifold sitting in boxes not yet installed. I am 100% interested in installing the cams but not 100% sold on the intake. I have recently been considering the purchase of a set of long tube headers as well.

I'm a newbie when it comes to performance mods so any advice you folks could provide with regard to the best bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver as well so keep that in mind with your recommendations.

I look forward to your input. Thanks very much!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Well the manifold would delete your CMCV, so that would help, but I've heard the intake helps mostly in upper end and you lose a bit down low. So depends where you want your power.

Then again, cams do the same thing, but I like the sound Since you're 100% on the cams, I'd sell the manifold and buy some longtubes with the money. Cams + longtubes = so much better than on their own.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Surprise there haven't been more comments/opinions on this.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

The topic has been beaten to death. You could do heads with your cams. Most will say if you go this route u might as well get fi b/c its cheaper and yeilds better results. For how much it will cost to do longtubes and heads u could get a nice package but if you wanna stay na then this would be the way to go
Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
The topic has been beaten to death. You could do heads with your cams. Most will say if you go this route u might as well get fi b/c its cheaper and yeilds better results. For how much it will cost to do longtubes and heads u could get a nice package but if you wanna stay na then this would be the way to go
My goal is to do a few things now to improve performance with the ultimate goal being a supercharger. So maybe the question I really need to ask here is what mods would be best at this point with the idea being I would go with FI at some point down the road. Trying to get the best bang for my buck to tide me over until a supercharger is more realistic. I don't want to blow a lot of money on NA mods that either won't play nice with FI down the road or will have to be removed when I get the opportunity to go FI.

So your input above was right on track with the sort of answers I was looking for on this topic. I apologize if this topic has, as you stated, "Been beaten to death". I do appreciate the comments and the insight.

Anybody running nitrous? Pros, cons, anything to consider with a nitrous setup? Or is it a wasn't of time and money?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by night7519
My goal is to do a few things now to improve performance with the ultimate goal being a supercharger. So maybe the question I really need to ask here is what mods would be best at this point with the idea being I would go with FI at some point down the road. Trying to get the best bang for my buck to tide me over until a supercharger is more realistic. I don't want to blow a lot of money on NA mods that either won't play nice with FI down the road or will have to be removed when I get the opportunity to go FI.

So your input above was right on track with the sort of answers I was looking for on this topic. I apologize if this topic has, as you stated, "Been beaten to death". I do appreciate the comments and the insight.

Anybody running nitrous? Pros, cons, anything to consider with a nitrous setup? Or is it a wasn't of time and money?

I guess then if your looking to push the power then a bottom end on the motor might be a good idea. What gears do u have. Catch Can would be a good one for the tranny assuming its like the GT's all though im not sure with urs being a roush. OIl catch can and and a breather on the passenger side. THese are not performance but great for the longevity of the car. As far as nitrous not sure there either but hopefully someone will chime in about that. Im guessing a good tuner who does these setups on a regular basis would be a good start. U can also add meth too for cooler intake temps. ID say if your really loooking for this kind of set up. FI and nitrous Then stronger bottom end is definetly in your future

Last edited by outceltj; 02-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Hello folks. I have a 2005 Roush Sport and am thinking it's time to do some performance improvements. I currently have an Airraid CAI and 93 race tune from Bama.

At this point a supercharger is out of the question so I'm looking for advice for the best mods for the money. I have a set of FRPP Hot Rod cams and the FRPP intake manifold sitting in boxes not yet installed. I am 100% interested in installing the cams but not 100% sold on the intake. I have recently been considering the purchase of a set of long tube headers as well.

I'm a newbie when it comes to performance mods so any advice you folks could provide with regard to the best bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver as well so keep that in mind with your recommendations.

I look forward to your input. Thanks very much!

What does the Roush Sport have for suspension upgrades? Any of the Roush goodies?

When you start bolting on power adders, good suspension and sticky tires are a must.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, don't worry about the whole "beaten to death thing". Keep asking questions.

Sharad hit it on the money: you should really look into suspension and some stickier tires if you plan on going FI at some point. The more common bolt-ons people run that would need to be removed when going FI are UDPs and CAI. Don't waste your money with these if you DO actually plan to go FI...unless you don't mind wasting money to get a quick fix lol.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Depends on how much money you have. On my 2007 GT I had UDPs, CMCVs 4.10 gears, shaftmasters driveshaft, and steeda CAI + brenspeed 93 tune. I ran 1 full second faster in the 1/4 mile with those mods over just intake+tune.

Now you have some cool mods sitting at home, Cams+intake manifold is nice. add in some LT headers and o/r-h pipe (H pipes sound better on the 3 valve) and I think you'll pick up some really nice WHP, probably 40-50whp. Do Under drive pulleys and driveshaft too and i think you'll be around 350whp, near the limit n/a without doing heads.

On the other hand, if F/I is a possibility anytime in the next year or so sell the cams(wont work well with F/I, you'll want blower cams) and intake manifold(wont work with twinscrew superchargers, and i'd recommend whipple if you are going for a supercharger), just get LT headers and mid pipe and a driveshaft.. the rest would have to go anyway.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.