Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI and exhaust worth the $?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

IMO, if you get a tune, you should just go ahead and do a CAI with it. You spent about $30k on the car so what's another ~ $200?
Wrong, most spent zero to tax, tag and title. Maybe 1% put a decent amount down or paid cash up front. Probably have just enough cash left at the end of the month to make the payment.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Wrong, most spent zero to tax, tag and title. Maybe 1% put a decent amount down or paid cash up front. Probably have just enough cash left at the end of the month to make the payment.
My bad. Been awhile since I've been really strapped for cash. Guess I forgot where I was...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
SprintGeek
1st Gear Member

The CAI and Tune is worth it...
Worth saving up for a bit. Easy do it yourselfer there too.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Well, money wont REALLY be an issue, as long as the girl doesnt find out..

I'll be using deployment money on it, so will put about $10,000 down to get the payments to $300-$350 a month.. and wanting to go with a CAI w. tune, headers, catted x pipe, full exhaust and LT headers...

Anyone have an idea about what gains i'd be looking at with those mods.. on american muscle, It's a little over $2000 for it all.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Exhaust mods won't really net you any gains unless you're pushing a lot of boost. The CAI alone isn't worth much either. A CAI with a tune, however, can give you a lot of bang for your buck.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Not to disagree but you cant say a full exhaust system from head to tip doesn't net gains. Headers, xpipe, cai, tune(from the right place), and a cat back system will next about 75hp to the crank in the 5.0. Thats about a 18% gain off of a stock run. Pretty good for naturally asperated parts. Don't think you can do it for 2000 though. Probably closer to 2800 or so the headers depending on brand will be around a 1000. Don't forget unless you have a boom you will be taking that car in to do header work. You have to remove the motor mounts drop the engine a few inches and remove the steering column. its about a 600 hundred dollar job. The rest you can do yourself on jackstands but you will be cursing removing the old pipes.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

Totally worth it.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLER5.0
Not to disagree but you cant say a full exhaust system from head to tip doesn't net gains. Headers, xpipe, cai, tune(from the right place), and a cat back system will next about 75hp to the crank in the 5.0.
I'm not calling you out, but where do those numbers come from? I've never heard of documented gains anywhere near that.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I'm not calling you out, but where do those numbers come from? I've never heard of documented gains anywhere near that.
Don't take it that way brother. No problem. U can hop on youtube look up 2012 2011 dyno runs and there are cars all over with that exact set up pulling those numbers. It's easy to find because the set up is so common. Not a ton else you can do without forced induction. If a 5.0 gt is running a base line of 365 or so and pulls 410 with that set up add back your 17% loss from the crank to the wheel and there you are.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLER5.0
Don't take it that way brother. No problem. U can hop on youtube look up 2012 2011 dyno runs and there are cars all over with that exact set up pulling those numbers. It's easy to find because the set up is so common. Not a ton else you can do without forced induction. If a 5.0 gt is running a base line of 365 or so and pulls 410 with that set up add back your 17% loss from the crank to the wheel and there you are.
You can't install the headers without dropping the motor? I have a little more than basic mechanic skill set but wouldnt want to have to do all that myself. That sucks.. Guess I could install the midpipe and exhaust myself and save some cash that way..

But as of now, other than the mods I listed, that's about it besides turbo or SC and I wish I could do that, but that'd require forged internals wouldnt it?

Quick Reply: CAI and exhaust worth the $?