Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

RPMs hanging or increasing between shifts

Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

Default RPMs hanging or increasing between shifts

I have a 2005 GT with the Edebrock eforce and dyno tune from PSI (webster tx)installed. When shifting gears the idle will not drop for several seconds or even increases to 3k and just sits there. I can take out of gear to coast and the engine doesnt slow down. If you rev while parked it will stay up for several seconds then creep down. Is this something i can fix? If I am coasting say around 30 then put in 5th and release the clutch for a split second it will drop to normal idle and stay there. I searched the forum but got too many unrelated hits.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

No codes? How does it idle? I know this gets said a lot, but it sounds like a vacuum leak.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd take a stab at the simple things: clean the TB and the MAF. Of the 2, I'd try the TB first. And Moosetangs recommendation to look for a vacuum issue is certainly worthwhile.

Has this issue always been there since going FI or is it something that has just or gradually happened?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

no codes. I think it has always done it since the blower install, I want to say since it was stock but I dont remember. I am pretty sure though it has done it since NA. I am going to try and drive a regular gt and see how it acts. I will clean the maf and tb but they shouldnt be dirty.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Talk to the tuner. Something isn't right.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 AM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

Just saw this I posted years ago when I did the CAI.
"BBK CAI and TB installed, Idleing high?"
Apparently I was always having this issue. Maybe I need to take to the shop and let them check it. I doubt two different TB have the same issue. How do I check for a vacuum leak at home?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rm9792
Just saw this I posted years ago when I did the CAI.
"BBK CAI and TB installed, Idleing high?"
Apparently I was always having this issue. Maybe I need to take to the shop and let them check it. I doubt two different TB have the same issue. How do I check for a vacuum leak at home?

Wait, wait, wait! You have an aftermarket throttle body? Take that **** off. The only aftermarket TB I'd put on my car is from ford racing.

I just read your old post and someone gave you good advice.

"Take it from me, take that TB, remove it, and enjoy that most expensive paper weight you'll ever own"

There is nothing normal about the rpms hanging, no need to drive a stock car.

Last edited by moosestang; 02-26-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

It is probably the "dashpot" settings and "throttle decay rate" in the tune. The tune isn't letting the throttle close fast enough. The stock settings are ok for the stock throttles but not for the eforce's big 85mm butterfly. I had pretty much the same problem and Brenspeed took care of it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Wait, wait, wait! You have an aftermarket throttle body? Take that **** off. The only aftermarket TB I'd put on my car is from ford racing.

I just read your old post and someone gave you good advice.

"Take it from me, take that TB, remove it, and enjoy that most expensive paper weight you'll ever own"

There is nothing normal about the rpms hanging, no need to drive a stock car.
That was an old post and it indeed got taken off. I used the TB that came with the Eforce.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rm9792
That was an old post and it indeed got taken off. I used the TB that came with the Eforce.
My bad. Did the E-force not come with a tune? If it did, I'd try loading that tune. Who makes the TB that comes with the E-force blower?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RPMs hanging or increasing between shifts