Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to buy with tax return $ ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
snikr
1st Gear Member

Must be nice to be getting a tax refund. I'm not that lucky this year.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by JDWalton
mine saw 70 ;-) REAL cams make a lot of power. "Sound" cams dont make near as much.
cams with a blower make big gains, or a good head/cam combo. Not on stock heads n/a, you cant see that kind of gain on the 4.6L 3 valve, any cam you get for that engine with stock heads wont gain more than 30 whp max, being generous, 25whp more realistic.

also 70whp sounds like a generous dyno... dyno readings can say anything you want them to say.. take it to the drag strip to see what it does, you're trap speed is a better indicator of what are you really putting down. most people running 9.5psi on a saleen s/c even with blower cams and full exhaust aren't putting out more than 475whp.

i read through your thread, if you do go to the track a match up an 11.7@120mph run at the drag strip to what you ran with that gauge thing you are probably really making about 450whp-475whp, more like what i'd excpet from your mods and similiar time/trap others have ran with those mod.... in which case those guys at that shop like to run their dyno on the very high side. like i said, you can make a dyno say/read just about anything you want it to, just change a couple of correction factors and you can make it read 10-20% higher making your shop/tuner seem better than it is without being too ridiculous to believe, people actually do that.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-02-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I dont know where you read 11.7, when I talked about any numbers with that gauge it was a LONG time ago. I remember pulling 11.2 on the street obviously with street tires and a suspension not set up for drag racing.

Anyway, I ran the car on the dyno on more then one occasion and my readings matched brenspeeds for the same cams and a similar blower setup.

Also on the heads, most shops will tell you straight up that is not true and that the stock heads on our cars flow very good. It is not untill you are flowing massive amounts of power that you need to replace them.

Of the two times my car was on the dyno post cams installed I made 506RWHP, though be it the car wasnt strapped down very good and it shreded my tires. As evident by the black specs covering EVERYTHING in the rear of the car and no tread left on the tires. You seem pretty smart, so I'm sure you understand that any wheel slip is power not accounted for on the dyno. The second time with extra straps holding the car down, cause like you the shop did not anticipate me in the 500+ range, I made 536rwhp.

I'm not making my statements based off general assumptions, I'm telling you my first hand experience that actualy happened, with data that can be verififed from more then one source. Also I am not saying EVERYONES will perform the same, mine always responded well to mods. But dont presume to come in here and correct me with your assumptions weighted over my proven data.