Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 almost new or a 2011 used.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Mauricio Serafim

Default 2010 almost new or a 2011 used.

Hi,

I live in Brazil and I'm new here.
I need your opinion about two mustangs that I'm looking to buy.
Here in Brazil is very difficult to buy a mustang, because Ford doesn't import them to Brazil. All mustangs that we have here come from a private import shop.
Now I have a opportunity to buy a mustang and I have two options here in my town. The first one is a 2010 silver mustang gt premium. It has only 500 miles and it is like a new one with any issue.
The second one is a 2011 silver mustang gt premium. This car has 18000 miles and it has some scratchs, dings and other small problems in the interior (the buttons in the steering wheel are without paint and the plastic piece that hold the power windows buttons in place is brokens. Nothing big but the car shows that the previous owner didn't take a good care of it.
Both car costs the same price. My question is : do you prefer to buy the 2010 4.6L without any issue or the 2011 5.0L with some small problems and with more miles on the clock?
Sorry about my bad english.
Thanks
Mauricio
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Me personally, I would go with the 5.0 Because even though its been rode hard and put up wet. It only has a few minor issues that are easily fixable atleast here they are and the car is still relativily new. As long as you take care of it, it will take care of you. The horsepower is more than enough advantage to push me over the edge for the 2011 But your the one who is there in person and has to make the call so you do what you feel is the safest and best for you
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

That's a tough one. I'd have to go with reliability over power in this case. I'd have to say get the 4.6 because I just don't trust a car that has obvious signs of mistreatment.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Mauricio Serafim

Thanks for the answers guys. I know that is a tough question.
There isn't any major issue with the 2011, but there are a lot of small problems that I will have to live, because I will not paint a entire car only to fix scratches and dings. Here in Brazil imported cars costs a lot. A used 2010 mustang gt costs about us$ 70.000 and to me this is a lot of money to pay in a car with some issues.
The 2010 is complete new. It still has the plastic in the floor but the 5.0L of the 2011 is making me think what is the better choise. This is a difficult but good question.
Thanks
Mauricio
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

In this case and as much as I would want the 2011, I go for the 2010. Less miles, no problems, almost new....................
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 AM
JimC

Mauricio

My wife (who grew up in Sao Paulo) just asked if it would be cheaper for you to come here to buy one in the US and ship it back yourself?

She said "ela sorte"

Where do you live in Brazil?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Mauricio Serafim

Originally Posted by JimC
Mauricio

My wife (who grew up in Sao Paulo) just asked if it would be cheaper for you to come here to buy one in the US and ship it back yourself?

She said "ela sorte"

Where do you live in Brazil?
I live in Belo Horizonte (about 500km far from Sao Paulo).
It will be a little cheaper to import myself the mustang, but I will have to deal with shipping, customs and etc... We only can import a new car or cars with more than 30 years. We have to pay around 100% over the car's price in shipping and customs fee.

This is another option that I'm thinking about.

Thanks For your help

Mauricio
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well if it would be nearly the same for a brand new one that is what I would do. For the hassel it would be worth it. You know I think its funny here, its cheaper to buy a import but it is the opposite everywhere else
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

Don't forget about fuel costs (equal to US $8-$10 per gallon in Brazil). The 5.0 is more powerful and more fuel efficient.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I'd get the 2010, it was cared for properly. The previous owner of the 5.0 seems to have had no regard for taking care of his or her car. It may not show mechanical problems now but he or she probably beat the living hell out of it. The gas mileage should be about the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 almost new or a 2011 used.