Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Member Looking to Pick Up a 2011/2012 GT (First Mustang Ever) Have ?s!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

I think it is a bit high. With the options I'd offer them 27k to see if they are willing to even budge at all. If they try to give you the "Yeah but it is a stick!" crap then ask them why an automatic was worth more from the factory... Good luck on getting a deal done, then post some pictures. It is required .
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

I would make sure of the gear ratio. For me the 3.31 just doesn't feel right; though that may just be a personal choice. The manual gear box has gotten some flack but personally I haven't had any issues. The car has some ticks but with any new engine, technology, etc nothing is going to be perfect. I have owned 3 mustang gt's in my lifetime a 98,03, and now this one. It is one bad *** car. If you are going to pay 29,000 for a used premium unless you are stuck on all those bells and whistles I would look for a base 2012 gt. Newer car and you could pick it up for less than that.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 PM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Welcome. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

[*]Tips for negotiating a car like this? Again, I'm not the best negotiator and really need to sharpen my skills...

I used to sell cars and I buy a new one about every 2 years so I know all the dirty tricks a dealer will pull. Don't let them know you are excited or rushed to buy something. Let them know you are "shopping around". Never buy right away, leave the dealership and let them call you back with a better offer. Make them think you are shopping similar cars at other dealers. The last few car's I bought took over a week to negotiate a price.

[*]Any particular part of these cars I need to look at ASAP when test driving to determine if it is a good / bad car?

Take it to someone who can tell you if it's been wrecked before you buy it. Don't rely on that carfax crap. Carfax just a money making scam.

[*]Does the 2011 GT employ the 1-4 skip shift and is that easy to defeat with a mod?

Yes and yes, defeatable by pulling the sensor from the tranny.

[*]Do you all think the price is about right or too high?

29k is too much, I paid that for my new car a year ago. You can easily negotiate a new car stickering in the 35-36k range into the 29k range. I'd figure $25k for a car with 18000 miles.

If I were in your shoes I'd seriously look into a new car, If you are considering spending near 30k, then why buy used when you can get a new one for about that price, you should easily be able to get $5000-6000 off of a new 2012 right now.

Happy shopping and good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Sython

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have a friend who works at a dealer and he is telling me the price is pretty aggressive and he doesn't think even if his dealer gets it they cannot go down that far (maybe a few hundred). So I think I may be done with that car.

The main thing I don't like about the base with brembos is the steering wheel. I really would prefer the premium mainly because of that!

If any of you guys know of someone who has a premium brembo for the right price feel free to let me know

Again, thanks for all the help and glad to read the skip shift is easy to defeat.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Sython

Also, if I could somehow get a premium brembo for $30k new I'd be really motivated to consider that... I'm planning on test driving a 2011++ GT manual tomorrow just to get an idea of how the car feels so once I get that done I can really focus my search.

Again, thanks all for the comments.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Sython

Wanted to give an update: I have insurance through USAA and they are claiming through them I can get a 2012 GT with the exact options I want for low 30s. I'm willing to go over budget for a car built to my tastes!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Sython

Well i test drove a non-brembo car tonight. Wow. I think I'm hooked.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sython
Well i test drove a non-brembo car tonight. Wow. I think I'm hooked.
One drive is all it takes, especially a full throttle run down an interstate on ramp. Depending on where you live, it's nice knowing that most of the time there isn't anything on the road around you that can out run you.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sython
Hi there,

I have been lurking this forum for quite some time and decided to sign up now that things are nearing reality. I have been reading up on the newer 2011 Mustangs and I have narrowed my search down to a brembo, premium trim, 6-speed 5.0 sold near me and waiting for a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track package.

I am leaning more towards the Mustang because long term I know it will be much cheaper to own, maintain, and modify.

Also, this will be the first time in a long time I've bought a vehicle in this price range. Most of the time I have bought cars <$10k with the exception of three cars. I feel like on those 3 instances I bought from the dealer I did a poor job negotiating, do you all have any tips? The 2011 GT I found has about 18k miles on it and is being sold for $29k, but like I said earlier, it has:

Brembos
Yellow Blaze Metallic ($500 option I think)
Premium Trim package
Comfort package (heated leather)
New Tires (They don't look like P-Zeros)
Manual gearbox
Hood scoop
Not sure of gear ratio out back.
No mods from what I can see in the pictures

This will be the most expensive car I have ever considered, so I want to make sure I get this right!

Another thing, this would be my FIRST Mustang ever.

To give you an idea on my past cars: I had a 1997 T-Bird with the 4.6L from the SN95 (yes the bad NPI motor) that I did some bolt-ons , but I know that definitely doesn't compare. Also, I have owned several Hondas, a BMW, and a few GMs. I have no bias when it comes to brand. I just enjoy cars.

To tell you what little Mustang experience I have: I drove a couple New Edge Mustangs (modded GT / modded Terminator) with the ultra-stiff cable clutch and a 2005 V6 with the newer hydraulic clutch setup.

So for those who are thinking TL;DR:
  • Looking to buy first Mustang ever.
  • Tips for negotiating a car like this? Again, I'm not the best negotiator and really need to sharpen my skills...
  • Any particular Mustang idosyncrasies that would be useful to know about? I have read the threads about the MT transmission, the #8 cylinder, etc. already. Anything else?
  • Any particular part of these cars I need to look at ASAP when test driving to determine if it is a good / bad car?
  • Does the 2011 GT employ the 1-4 skip shift and is that easy to defeat with a mod?
  • Do you all think the price is about right or too high?

Thanks for any/all help

John
I can tell you I love my yellow mustang I'm not the best at working with prices ether. I would check out autotrader.com or cars.com and have a real good idea of what the car is "worth" and use that as your friend. don't pay $2,000 more than the average price everyplace else.
I have NEVER had an issue with the skip shift...you can totally ignore it every time if you wish.
I can't comment on price.....I studied up on my car and the exact features. I assume yours is a coupe. so, its less on that aspect alone. I mostly wanted to comment that I have had many cars in my past...this mustang is by far my most favorite.
Good Luck!!