Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installed New GT500 Axle Back Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM
MarkJones

Default Installed New GT500 Axle Back Mufflers

I decided a month ago that I wanted some new mufflers for my 2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Premium. Since you in theory just bolt off the clamp holding the stock mufflers in place and bolt on the new ones, I thought it might be doable.

I did a lot of research on what to buy. My criteria was to get something that sounded better and throatier than the stock mufflers but would not annoy the neighbors (I'm an older guy anyway).

So, I had finally decided on the Borla Touring Axle Backs at about $754 for the pair. Then, a sales guy at American Muscle recommended taking a look at the Ford Racing GT500 Axle Backs that were less than 1/2 the price of the Borlas and were supposedly not too loud. So I listened to all the YouTube clips of the GT500s I could find then decided to pull the trigger.

I bought them online from AmericanRestoration last week for $309 plus tax and free shipping. They arrived this past Tuesday.

My friend had agreed to help me install them, so we started the project yesterday afternoon. He had a floor jack and some lifts so we were able to put the rear of the car up so we could work underneath.

We then went about removing the right stock muffler. No problem removing the clamp holding the muffler to the pipe or the rear support bracket. Pulling the muffler out of the front rubber brackets proved to be quite a problem. We just couldn't get enough room to slide the muffler forward enough to release the supports from the rubber. And yes, we did use silicone spray on them. We finally decided to cut one of the support arms off the old muffler and when we did this, we were able to finally remove the old muffler. I was wanting to sell the stock mufflers on Ebay, but that won't happen now.

Now, on to installing the new GT500 muffler. It went fairly smoothly. We had to loosen to bracket holding the front rubber supports in order to get everything lined up and eventually installed and tightened, but it wasn't too bad.

We then removed the left OEM muffler in the same was as the first one, cutting the support arms on it, thereby destroying it but making pretty easy to remove. We decided to install the new one a little differently by completely removing the front rubber bracket from under the car and installing it on the muffler first. It went OK, but it was a bear reinstalling the bracket underneath the car with the muffler attached to it. We finally did it and tightened everything up.

Overall the project took us about three hours with two guys that had never installed a muffler before. We could probably do it in less time now that we've done it, but overall I don't think it's as simple as some of the online posting about the process suggests.

In the end, I really like the way the GT500 Axle Backs sound on my 2012 GT 5.0. They have a deeper, throatier sound I was looking for and really bring a smile to you face when you open it up. Very nice.

My friend that helped me has a 2011 GT Premium with the Brembo package, so we'll probably do another install on his car next. At least now we know what we're doing.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

When you do your friends, start off by taking the brackets off when you remove the OEM pipes. It is only a couple bolts each. You won't have to cut the old axle-backs.
I did mine on Friday morning, took a little over an hour. Unbolting the hangars will save you a lot of time. Litte tight getting them back in but easily doable. I did mine sitting on the garage floor. Was able to slide under the car and didn't need to jack it up.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

What? No exhaust video? :-)
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM
MarkJones

Originally Posted by scottw2010
When you do your friends, start off by taking the brackets off when you remove the OEM pipes. It is only a couple bolts each. You won't have to cut the old axle-backs.
I did mine on Friday morning, took a little over an hour. Unbolting the hangars will save you a lot of time. Litte tight getting them back in but easily doable. I did mine sitting on the garage floor. Was able to slide under the car and didn't need to jack it up.
Yes, we unbolted the hanger (3 bolts) on the second side before installing the new muffler. Really tight fit bolting it back on, but it was doable. I think your advise is sound if you want to save the OEM mufflers.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
What? No exhaust video? :-)
If my Boomtubes are too loud after the LT's I have been considering GT500's
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Nice guy to make sure the neighbors don't get mad. Since I put Corsa xpipes, Corsa Axlebacks, and cams on I basically am an alarm clock for my neighbors and you can hear the car a mile away (If you care to revv it any past 2000 rpm which is like getting going). Beautiful sound but I doubt the neighbors like me anymore then they did before. They are all polites about it. Thy wouldn't say anything to me about it so I guess it'll do and congrats on the install. I had a shop put my pipes and exhaust on for me.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:00 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

If you loosen the couplings where the mid pipes go together, you will have enough play to remove and install new mufflers. Instructions provided with the Roush Axle Backs suggest doing this.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7mjPCIDHd_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not mine, but that does sound pretty nice.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Or this, since I'm apparently internet inhibited.

http://youtu.be/7mjPCIDHd_c