Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Default Frankenstein exhaust?

I currently have a Cherry Bomb Extreme axelback on my 4.6 3V. I love the deep low tone sound but can't help but envy some of the MAC full exhaust setups.

In the spirit of saving keesh (and the fact that the bomber mufflers sound pretty bada$$ for just an axelback), what could I expect if I were to "Frankenstein" my setup and put MAC LT headers and a O/R H in front of the Cherry bombs? Anyone out there done this before?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

People do that all the time...the exhaust comes in multiple pieces, so it's easy to mix & match to find what you want. I have a Hooker axle back with a Magnaflow X pipe, and I'm looking at getting a Pro Chamber.

Also, with LT's your setup would be VERY LOUD.
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Hooker Aerochambers, Hurst Billet/Plus, "P" springs Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket254 View Post
I currently have a Cherry Bomb Extreme axelback on my 4.6 3V. I love the deep low tone sound but can't help but envy some of the MAC full exhaust setups.

In the spirit of saving keesh (and the fact that the bomber mufflers sound pretty bada$$ for just an axelback), what could I expect if I were to "Frankenstein" my setup and put MAC LT headers and a O/R H in front of the Cherry bombs? Anyone out there done this before?
I've got a friend who ran BBK LT's and a catted x with them. They were loud but not too loud at all in my opinion. Sounded good. I also prefer the sound of an h anyways, soooo yeah. I'd say it's a good option. Is there a shorty h that fits the macs?

Also, the deepness and tone is from the MAC axlebacks, not the headers. Just to make sure you're aware.

2008 Mustang GT Black/Black - 5 Speed
JLT Series 3 CAI, Bama tunes, MGW Shifter, Pypes Long Tubes, Pypes o/r H, SSS Adrenaline Series Mufflers, Sequentials, 35% Tints, lots more to come.

94 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0 auto 4x4 - Stock for now / Winter and school commuting car.
HxCGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I think it will sound great. If it's too much just add some mid mounted resonators. It's what cleaned up my setup.

My setup is way more Frankenstein. Cams, Pypes longtubes, off road h pipe, mid mounted cherry bomb resonators and pypes m80's, nxt step performance axle backs. Produces deep aggressive tone with no trumpeting or 3 valve pop.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2011 NHRA Sportsman Class Hawaii State Champion
12.23 @ 113 mph
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
People do that all the time...the exhaust comes in multiple pieces, so it's easy to mix & match to find what you want. I have a Hooker axle back with a Magnaflow X pipe, and I'm looking at getting a Pro Chamber.

Also, with LT's your setup would be VERY LOUD.
Longtubes themselves will not make the car louder. Mine in fact made my car more quiet at idle, and just better sounding through the entire rev range. Whats going to increase the volume is the loss of cats when you put the LT's + O/R midpipe on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
I think it will sound great. If it's too much just add some mid mounted resonators. It's what cleaned up my setup.

My setup is way more Frankenstein. Cams, Pypes longtubes, off road h pipe, mid mounted cherry bomb resonators and pypes m80's, nxt step performance axle backs. Produces deep aggressive tone with no trumpeting or 3 valve pop.
And if it is too much, resonators +1! You can see my exhaust setup in my sig.
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
bakon

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I agree most long tubes will not change volume. Add performance but its cats and back which have larger input on any car/truck.
bakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS

Would the midpipe swap alter the tone in anyway or is that just volume?
(Assuming I go with an O/R H, I still prefer the sound of an H pipe )

What distinguishes an aftermarket O/R H from the stock H with the cats cut out? I'm guessing it is shaped to allow more airflow?
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT

Shape is the same, just with no cats.

The tone will change. O/R pipes have a "raw" sound to them. I started with stingers, then added an O/R H. It would trumpet, and growl loudly at specific RPM's, and was just loud loud all the time. I threw in a set of Resonators from JPC and it cleaned up the tone a bunch. Also reduced some of the drone, and allowed my right foot to control the volume, no longer stuck to 11 no matter how I tried to drive.

Then I added the headers, and it got better again! For youtube reference, this is my exact setup except I have the resonators:
[youtube]EfdUAbHsQpM[/youtube]
305rwhp 322rwtq

For sale - GT500 H/E|GT500 Rails|GT500 Steering Wheel|Entire Car!|
S197GT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, car, exhaust, frankenstein, frankensteins, m80, meet, mid, mount, mustang, or, pop, pypes, s197, stingers