Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Custom tune vs Bama tune question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Default Custom tune vs Bama tune question

I searched a little and I couldn't find what I was looking for....

Ok, I know that anybody can pick up say a Bama tuner and program there car and be on there way. OR, I think I read you can go to a shop and have a custom tune made up for your specific car.

What is a the better option? I'm asking because I found a very good deal on a Bama tuner and a CAI...BUT, I need to pony up $150.00 to get the free tunes for life...even with that, its a good deal.

My question is, is a tune at a shop about the same as a tuner you would get off American Muscle? Are custom Much better? not as good? About the same? I guess that would help me decide what direction to go.

Any advice is welcome ASAP...I'm hoping to make a decision today.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Doug@C&L
Former Sponsor

I can't speak for AM but I will say that you don't want to goto just ANY SCT dealer and get a tune for your 2011-up. There are many things that need to be done over the base SCT file to ensure you the safest possible tune for your car.

Now, I don't know where you're at so I can't say but if you go local make sure you call them and discuss your car and ask how many they have done and if they've ran into any issues. Basically do your homework before you spend the money.

Our custom tunes are dyno and real world tested for the best horsepower and torque while maintaining the best driveability possible. We give you free tune updates with any tunes for as long as you own your car for NO additional charge.

Our C&L air intakes are some of the best overall performance products on the market today along with the best fit and finish.

So go with someone you know, and can trust. Any shop can buy tuning software, but there are very few that actually know what they are doing with it.

Just let me know how I can help!!

Thanks, Doug
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

If you're running a stock setup then a BAMA tune should be pretty good. But if you start modifying the motor or exhaust setup you should get a custom tune from a reputable shop.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

It all depends on who is doing the dyno tune. Unless you have a shop that is VERY familiar with tuning the new 5.0s, I would go with a mail order tune from one of the big tuners all day long. The odds of a small shop with little experience tuning the 5.0 of blowing up your car will be much higher IMO.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Minion

Ok, I know that anybody can pick up say a Bama tuner and program there car and be on there way. OR, I think I read you can go to a shop and have a custom tune made up for your specific car.

What is a the better option? I'm asking because I found a very good deal on a Bama tuner and a CAI...BUT, I need to pony up $150.00 to get the free tunes for life...even with that, its a good deal.

My question is, is a tune at a shop about the same as a tuner you would get off American Muscle? Are custom Much better? not as good? About the same? I guess that would help me decide what direction to go.

Thanks in advance

Minion,

All of our Bama tunes are hand made for each customer's specific car and mods. We've put extensive time in making our custom tunes as aggressive and efficient as possible, without compromising your engine's safety. We have three company '11+ 5.0 4v GT's that we test on our DynoJet 224xlc and on local tracks/streets.

We're so confident in our tunes that we even supply a cylinder #8 warranty for '11+ GTs, if your local Ford Dealership determines engine failure of cylinder #8 being the aftermarket tune. Here are all of the terms and conditions of our warranty. We did this to give our customers an extra peace of mind and show them how we stand behind our products!

I know you'll really enjoy a Bama tune on your GT. We pride ourselves on our Customer Service and I think the overall experience will get you hooked as another one of our AM life long customers!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be happy to help you out!

Shane
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion

Thanks in advance
A few months back I purchased the SCT Tune and C&L CAI combo set. I can honestly say that I'm very happy with this purchase and American Muslce (along with BAMA Tunes) have done a superb job with assisting me with questions and concerns I've had regarding this product. Also, the tunes for life is well worth it!!! Might as well ***** out my engine bay here, so here's a look on the set up:

Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Anybody need a job in sales? I'm sold. Ill paypal the guy now. Its a good deal (in my opinion) only used for 2 weeks before he went with a supercharger. Steeda CAI and Bama tuner for $325.00 shipped. Ill have to pop for the extra $150.00 for a lifetime of tunes. but all in I'm less than $500.00 for a very good tuner/CAI combo.

Thanks guys!