Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil seperators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by -rpark-
gotcha. overlooked what you said.
No worries man but it's definetly something that gets over looked bc of some that maybe mis informed. But it's the most effective way to not get any blowby from the passenger side. I have had zero problems with doing this simple mod. No unmetered air or dirty engine bay. Just research this too and u may find this to be your solution or not. The best advice given to me was research and then always check that info with a trusted tuner. I always call brenspeed to see what there advice is and this subject was also discussed and one reason y I went with the breather. There r always other options keep that n mind
Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
U put a plug in it so u aren't sucking in air. I do this bc with the driver side catch can was catching oil but when I took off the TB to see how much the passenger side was letting through I was amazed so the breather went on. Huge difference
You put a plug in what? If you take your oil fill cap off while your engine is idling, then you are sucking in unmetered air through the pcv valve to your throttle body, so if you have a breather on that side, it's just like having your oil fill cap off.

It may idle just fine, but you are essential creating a vacuum leak by having the passenger side open, while the drivers side is connected to vacuum.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
You put a plug in what? If you take your oil fill cap off while your engine is idling, then you are sucking in unmetered air through the pcv valve to your throttle body, so if you have a breather on that side, it's just like having your oil fill cap off.

It may idle just fine, but you are essential creating a vacuum leak by having the passenger side open, while the drivers side is connected to vacuum.
I can assure u my car runs just fine without any hiccups There r others that do this as well. Some put breathers on both sides. The catch cans do not catch all the oil there is still minimal amounts getting by.

Blowby is created by pressure in the block u have to have some relief in there or otherwise it would blow out your gaskets. The PVC line is ran into the throttle body so that it's not released into the atmosphere. That is why people get oil catch cans or breathers. If U do the breather u simply take the line off the throttle body and then put a plug in where the line went into the throttle body. Then remove it from the valve cover and install breather. The pressure created by the motor is going to push the Blowby to the breather where the breathers filter catches the oil.

It's a simple idea and easy to understand

U can research the idea. There are some that have breathers that have the lines also. Type in breathers in the search function and u will find some good threads about this subject.

Last edited by outceltj; 03-26-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Moose is right bro, and I can tell you for sure he understands the concept of a breather. The spanish oak computer is finicky. Your car may be running fine, but if your tune doesn't take into account the unmetered air from your breather, then your air/fuel mix isn't optimal and you're leaving power on the table.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Moose is right bro, and I can tell you for sure he understands the concept of a breather. The spanish oak computer is finicky. Your car may be running fine, but if your tune doesn't take into account the unmetered air from your breather, then your air/fuel mix isn't optimal and you're leaving power on the table.
I guess I don't understand how there is unmetered air entering. Especially if u plug the port where the line connected to the TB. Your saying that air is being sucked through the breather. I wouldnt think so since the internals r creating pressure. I was under the impression that any guy that races all the time do this and its very common with FI. Unless your talking about breathers that come the PVC line. Im just trying to understand what u two r saying.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

When you're not making boost, you're in a state of vacuum. On the initial hit, you backflow a rush of unmetered air. I probably drag race my car more than 90% of the members here, and I prefer a contained system. You're right that a lot of people run breathers, but mod motors, especially 3Vs and later, need to be properly tuned for them. Even then, if you get into the boost a lot, you will eventually end up with a light coat of oil on everything under your hood, even if you haven't personally experienced it yet. I'm all for letting anyone build their car any way they want, I just don't want people to get the idea that good info is bad, and moose's info is good.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I see the last time I had a specific amount of mods installed I mentioned everything including the breather when my car was dyne tuned. So it may have been tuned as needed. I was just not aware of that. After researching this a bit before I decided I know that u still have blowby with the separators and with FI premature detonation will occur. I would say that both have there pros and cons.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You sure don't understand and quite frankly, I'm tired of trying to explain it to you.

Breathers on both sides is fine, because you have no manifold vacuum source connected to the crank case. you are screwing up your fuel trims and wasting gas the way you have it.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Default Best Explanation of PCV System

Hi Guys

Here is the best conversation on PCV system I have read.

8603GT

You guys are really giving bad information. The stock system does not work the way you are describing it, anytime the engine runs both the passanger and driver side hoses to the cam covers are in vacumm. There is no system that draws in through the passanger side and out of the drivers side. The oil vapor, crank case pressure is relieve in stock form by the two hoses
connected in front of the t-body and to the intake.

The Paxton/vortech approach to evacuating the crankcase is exactly the same, the passenger side which attaches to the blower inlet which is always in vac regardless of boost, the one from the drivers side uses a PCV valve to try and stop the boost in the intake from pressurizing the crankcase and still allows vac to remove crankcase pressure while not in boost.

Filters or a catch can do the same thing except the catch can hopefully keeps oil from being blown all over your engine. The only way you would be allowing unmetered air in is if you attached a open hose or filter to the intake tract after the mass air meter.

JEREMY@S&H PERFORMANCE Amplifies confused response:

Your overthinking it for sure. The vacuum comes from the intake and manifold. the stock setup has lines running form the intake/manifold to each side respectively. They help pull air(crankcase pressure) out of the valve covers. There is no vac under the valve covers, just pressure. Disconnect the lines from the intake and manifold and cap them there. Run the the lines from the valve covers to a catch can/breather. The increased blowby from boost causes the crank case air(pressure) and oil to exit the top of the valve covers through the lines to the catchcan/breather. The oil is caught in the can and the air comes out the breather and vents to atmosphere. Air doesnt get pulled into the crankcase ever.

8306GT

Oil doesn't blow up into your manifold, while in boost if your manifold is pressurized causing oil to be blown out all paths of least resistance, such as seals, gaskets, filters on cam covers, hose running to inlet side of supercharger.

Also the main reason you should be recomending a catch can, Is so the oil vapor won't be drawn into the intake because oil vapor leads to detonation, which as you know tends to shorten engine life and if you pressurize the crankcase to 10-15 psi every seal and gasket in the engine will be leaking oil.

I still have to think hard about this LOL
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I see the last time I had a specific amount of mods installed I mentioned everything including the breather when my car was dyne tuned. So it may have been tuned as needed. I was just not aware of that. After researching this a bit before I decided I know that u still have blowby with the separators and with FI premature detonation will occur. I would say that both have there pros and cons.
The amount of blowby with a (good) catch can is negligible. Empty it regularly and you'll never see detonation. Everything definitely has pros and cons.

Quick Reply: Oil seperators?