Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil seperators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Default Oil seperators?

I'm looking into an oil separator. I think the JLT seems to be very popular, but is any brand better than the others?

Also, I've noticed there are drivers side models and passengers side models. Do you need one or the other, or both?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

The JLT I would say is probably the most popular, IMO it was the easiest offering out there which probably helps its case. I have the JLT on my car and I'm happy with it. Looks good and the fit is well done. As for the effectiveness, I would say all of the name brand options aren't going to go wrong by you, they will all likely be very close in how well they do.

As for the side issue of passenger vs. driver, the passenger side traditionally lets through much more oil than the driver side, and since oil separators aren't without cost most people aren't going to strap both on to prevent a little more blow by. Even on my passenger side I've only captured maybe a teaspoon and a half of oil in the past 3-5 months.

Hope that helps a little bit!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Sorry to cut in but what is this for? So the oil doesn't get past the PVC valve and cause the fuel/air mixture going through the intake to have a small amount of oil?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottw2010
Sorry to cut in but what is this for? So the oil doesn't get past the PVC valve and cause the fuel/air mixture going through the intake to have a small amount of oil?
yes. i think the oil will gunk up the intake and engine over time.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have an oil separator om the driver side and a breather on the passenger side. Some people will tell u that those get oil all over your engine bay and I'm here to tell u that they don't. Plus there is absolutely no oil from passenger side getting through the intake.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i have both of the JLT"s. According to them they claim most blow by comes from drivers side so if only one that would be the side..

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...r9kl8coqao9vk6
Old 03-25-2012, 05:28 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Out of curiosity what oil separators are used by the GT500 and the Roush cars?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
i have both of the JLT"s. According to them they claim most blow by comes from drivers side so if only one that would be the side..

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...r9kl8coqao9vk6
It seems from AM site that the passenger side is most important because that is the side with the PCV valve???

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-oi...ator-11gt.html
Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I just installed the JLT. I got it because it's a direct replacement. It has the factory connectors on it. If you have to choose one or the other, get the passenger side. It collects more than the drivers side. I thought I ordered the passenger side but I didn't. American Muscle is out of the passenger side, but when it comes in I will be running both.

Quick Reply: Oil seperators?